Default When Can You Put Speed Bumps on a Road Open to the Public

My question involves an easement in the state of: Arizona --- Pima County

I live in rural area near Tucson and one of my neighbor speeds up and down my road kicking up dirt quite frequently. The Sheriff won't do anything about them - I have complained about them before on various issues and after arguments with the Sheriff's department I'm not on good standing with them. This neighbor today drove by me while I was turning around in my drive way and driving so fast he was kicking up dirt on the road (as usual) -- I've seen his family do this on many occasions and it's usually someone from his family or friends. He did not even slow down for me in front of my house on a very small rural street and these are roads that are not fit to drive over 15mph (more like 10 mph near my house but there's no signs - although the majority of people have the commonsense not to). '

I talked to my neighbor across the street who owns horses and she has agreed that speed bumps would be a good idea and I'm pretty sure the people on my street are all ok with it except the people on the next street down who speed. I was wondering what procedure I would have to go through to put 2 small speed bumps on a dirt road in rural Tucson area? I'm thinking 15 mph bump to keep them from going too fast -- 25 is very fast for this road and small rural neighborhood. I've tried to talk to this neighbor before about other nuisances such as loud rap music and it almost resulted in a brawl. The Sheriff did respond to that one (they usually don't) and it ended that situation - but nevertheless there's still more issues with these disrespectful neighbors whom do a lot of stupid things. This is a rural country road that is not traveled on much at all and they have the option of going another route.. Would a restrainment order to make them drive the other way be an option? They have no reason to drive down my street --- the other road is of equal distance and actually more suitable for their driving habits because it's more traveled on (less dust and there's absolutely no difference in drive time)..

Any useful advice would be appreciated. I don't plan on spending a fortune on this issue like getting a lawyer or anything like that but the issue of kicking up dust because of their driving is not acceptable to me at this point.

Default Re: Speed Bump in Rural Tucson, Arizona

If the roads are public roadways, you could get yourself into all sorts of legal, both civil and possibly criminal, for putting an obstruction on the roadway.

what is that actual speed limit on the road?+++and yes, all roads have a speed limit whether it be by posting or based on the default limits determined by the type of road the the laws of the state.

Would a restrainment order to make them drive the other way be an option?
    not if it is a public roadway.

They have no reason to drive down my street -
    if it is a public roadway, they don't need a reason to drive on the road. Heck, I could drive over there and drive up and down the road simply because I want to. A public road is just that; for the use of the public.

we maintain the roads.. they are rural dirt roads that require the community to chip in to hire a grader. There are no speed signs and I don't believe a speed limit. I don't think the roads are public I'll have to look into it. My grandfather actually settled the area (he died a long time ago) and he put in the roads himself along with the water well, 1st telephone and 1st electric. I guess I'll have to call the county zoning office to find out the speed limit.

Sir I've explained I've had other problems so don't stick up for them about the restraining order and have been harassed by them.. anyway I can see your opinion is biased. Please don't respond anymore.

"if it is a public roadway, they don't need a reason to drive on the road. Heck, I could drive over there and drive up and down the road simply because I want to. A public road is just that; for the use of the public."
    well you apparently don't understand the situation. .please get a life moron.

I've not said it's a public road.. It may be private. as stated it's a rural dirt road - I guess you have issues in comprehension. anyway I'm new to this forum and if this is how it's going to be I won't ever come back here. I have better things to do than have idiots responds to a serious situation. I've plainly stated that this is a small rural neighborhood and the neighbor is driving so fast it's kicking up dust everywhere. It's too fast for the conditions. You are about as dumb as the neighbor doing this.

Actually, you appear to be the moron, who self appointed himself neighborhood watch Nazi. Dirt roads kick up dirt. If you do not want them to kick up dirt, provide a constant watering system or pay to have them tar n chip'd. Good Luck in your delusions.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

please get a life moron.
    You'd do well to mind your manners when asking volunteers - especially volunteers with a long track record of useful contributions - to give freely of their time to help you.

If you are unhappy with the advice given for free, do avail yourself of a phonebook and tell your tale of woe to an attorney, whom you will pay to deal with your attitude.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Neal Vanderstelt;720176]
    Sir I've explained I've had other problems so don't stick up for them about the restraining order and have been harassed by them.. anyway I can see your opinion is biased. Please don't respond anymore.
    well, I can see why the neighbor has such a problem with you.

I've not said it's a public road.. It may be private.
    speaking of yahoos. Hell, you don't even know if it is a public or private roadway. How would you expect anybody to be able to give you an answer if you do not even know who owns the road?

My best advice for the OP:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/fi...tucson/arizona

Take at least two thousand bucks with you to the first appointment and keep your mouth shut except to answer direct questions for which you know the answer factually. Droning on about morons on the internet or what you think your grandfather did will find a willing audience at about $250 an hour but will not accomplish anything otherwise.

The attorney should be left to figure all of this out without your "help".

If you want to save time by avoiding the advice here and also save money by avoiding an attorney, just take the money I have saved you and have a drink on me at Las Margaritas on East Grant Road. That may be the best route for you as the bartender will be more than willing to listen to your story and may have further advice.

can you post a google maps link to show the road in question? the ownership of the road matters a great deal
    Never break more than one law at a time.

"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods." -- H. L. Mencken

1. Sponsored Links