Default Do I Have to Repay a Relocation Allowance if I Resign After Moving

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: KY

I'm being relocated to another state. The company is giving me a one time, lump sum of $x,xxx that will be included in my next payroll check.

I don't want to move, but feel I really have no other opportunity within the company. Let's say I get settled into my new role and I'm not doing well. I ask to come back and they say it isn't an option, so I quit.

Seeing as I didn't sign anything and I'm an at-will employee, am I liable for any of the relocation expense?

Default Re: Relocation / Resignation/Termination

That will be a matter of whatever agreement you do or do not have with the employer. The law does not address the question either way.

Nothing has been mentioned or written about what is expected. Just, "this is an indefinite relocation" which could end up being permanent. I have not signed any documentation regarding the relocation compensation.

Then the likelihood is that you will not be liable to repay the relocation expenses. Unless something changes between now and then.

That's what i assumed. I'm hoping this turns out to be a very beneficial move, but I'm a little weary.

It's "wary." "Weary" means you are tired. Although that could be the case, too.

A word of caution: You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract.

I suggest you ask the "what if" question of your employer, preferably by email so you have a record of the response.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    It's "wary." "Weary" means you are tired. Although that could be the case, too.

A word of caution: You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract.

I suggest you ask the "what if" question of your employer, preferably by email so you have a record of the response.
    Haha - thanks for catching that!

But, it can't be a contract if it's something I've never been made aware of, correct? Whether it be orally or written, it must be conveyed to me....right?

Quote Quoting thomas19
    View Post

But, it can't be a contract if it's something I've never been made aware of, correct? Whether it be orally or written, it must be conveyed to me....right?
    That's true to some extent.

But you have to carefully examine any and all communications between you and your employer whether oral, written, or electronic to see if there is even the remotest possibility that relocation expense money has any strings attached.

Because once you accept the money and relocate you are pretty much stuck with whatever they say the agreement was unless you can prove otherwise.

I can understand the reluctance to ask the "Do I have to pay this back if the job doesn't work out?" question. It's like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

It's up to you.

1. Sponsored Links