Unhappy Misdemeanor Reckless Endangerment

I have a few questions here:

Back in 98 or 99, I plead guilty to misdemeanor reckless endangerment. I don't know what class that falls in to, but the only other charge I've ever plead guilty to was public intoxication.

I just paid court cost on the Pub Intox and walked. For the Misd, I did 7 days waiting on a bond hearing and after all the flea bargaining, got 60 days of work release and probation. I've done my time and paid up everything I owe, and have not been in anymore trouble since.

I recently tried to purchase a gun, but was denied by the TBI background check. I am a legal gun owner and had a lot of guns before this charge that I still own now. Why would I be denied a gun purchase with no felonies, no domestic violence, and just what is stated above?

Furthermore, I think this misdemeanor is keeping me from a lot of jobs I've applied for since I have been totally honest and gave them the info. Is there a way to get this expunged so that I can move on with life and earn the living I deserve?

I make $8.60 an hr and can't even get full time hours at the job I have now and all the ones I applied for, I passed all testing, reference checks, drug tests, and physicals, but after criminal background checks, I don't get the job.

HELP!

Default Re: Misdemeanor reckless endangerment

In what state?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    In what state?

I live in TN.

To get an expungment in Tennessee the charge must be dismissed, a not guilty verdict returned, the defendant must have successfully completed a qualifying diversion agreement, the defendant must have been exonerated by the governor, or the defendant must be a first-time offender (other than a sex offender) who committed the crime while below the age of 21 and who has no subsequent record. Do you fall into any of those categories?

If your biggest concern is the restoration of your rights to possess a firearm, you may be able to achieve that without an expungement.

Unhappy Re: Misdemeanor reckless endangerment

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    To get an expungment in Tennessee the charge must be dismissed, a not guilty verdict returned, the defendant must have successfully completed a qualifying diversion agreement, the defendant must have been exonerated by the governor, or the defendant must be a first-time offender (other than a sex offender) who committed the crime while below the age of 21 and who has no subsequent record. Do you fall into any of those categories?

If your biggest concern is the restoration of your rights to possess a firearm, you may be able to achieve that without an expungement.
    I was either 21 or 22 when I got the misdemeanor; I can't recall exactly. Am I screwed for life over this? What class misdemeanor is reckless endangerment? How can I get my right to bare firearms back? I do love hunting and shooting sports.

When can one ever prove that he or she is not ever going to mess up criminally again, and get something done so a one time mistake like this doesn't ruin his or her ability to earn the living they deserve? Shouldn't the amount of years passed since this happened account for something? Maybe I could get a lawyer to talk to a judge about getting this expunged?

FWIW, I started college late in life since I'm not getting anywhere career wise. I'm now an English major (liberal arts with emphasis on teaching). I'd hope that I'm not wasting my time and money trying to get a degree and this misdemeanor keep me from teaching.

Thumbs down Re: Misdemeanor reckless endangerment

I think I figured this one out.

I was on my way home one night about 11pm from Nashville back when gas was $4 a gallon. No cars but me and a cop on the road. He decided to pull me over and check me out.

Turns out there was a mistake on my record. I had a capeas warrant over a ticket had had paid off long ago from the year 2000.

The cop called it in and got it taken off. He said even if I hadn't paid it, It was supposed to fall off in something like 3 years anyway.

Always fun to get a surprise like knowing your squeaky clean and then a cop comes back to your car to tell you that you've got a warrant.

Anyway, just thougth I'd update.

1. Sponsored Links