Default Towed, Car Wont Start

Ok I have used my roomates car, to help a co-worker move some furniture. After that I parked in an unmarked space in his complex area. There were spots designated for guests, but all of them were full. My co-worker assured me, I'd be ok. So we moved the furniture, and have some drinks. Laughing over work and such. We decide to eat at ihop with friends...I go out and my car is towed. I call the company, go and pay 100 dollars to pick it up. I put the key in, and bam...it will not start. On top of that I can't take the key back out. My friend jump starts me, the car starts and we end up going to ihop nyways. I park and take the keys out...the alarm wont lock the card. Odd enough, I just leave it. I come back and try to start the car...it wont start, and now i can't get the key out AGAIN. Jump start allows me to start the car, and take the key out. The car NEVER did this before. Also my co-worker witnessed a guy with a flash light...checking peoples cars for parking permits. That's how they got me. This happened in Virginia. Now i'm stuck with a car that wont start...and key wont come out of the ignition unless jump started. What are my options...are they completely held un-liable? If so...what stops tow companies from just messing up everyones cars.

Default Re: Towed, Car Wont Start

Anyone....Anyone at all?

Anyone what?

If you believe your car was damaged by the tow, you need to have the damage inspected by a mechanic so you can prove your suspicion. Have you done that yet?

Well, other posts have had reply's regarding state laws about towing. I was hoping to see if anyone knew the state law on predatory towing in Va. Couldn't find anything, only heard rumors. That It is illegal for towing companies to drive around using flashlights to see if someone has a permit to park in that complex or not. I thought they could only tow if it was called in by the property owner, or a tenant. I also had no idea if having a mechanic check it was even worth it. It'd be completely useless if I did that, and then va law says the tow co is not liable... I know how to fix cars myself, it was the alternator + battery. I just don't want to throw away money on a official diagnosis from a certified mechanic if it does me no good.

The governing statute appears to be Virginia Code Section 46.2-1231, here.

1. Sponsored Links