Unhappy Bench Warrant in Illinois for Parking Tickets

hello. i was pulled over this morning and the cop told me that there is a warrant for my arrest for parking tickets. i looked very shocked, and then he said that he wasnt going to arrest me for something as stupid as parking tickets, but he said to go to my local police department as soon as i can to get this taken care of. i thanked him and he let me be on my way to work.

is this self surrender if i go to the police station?

what am i to expect if i either call in to the station, or go in? will they come to my house for this?

this was obviously for missing a court date about a parking ticket. but i have never received any notice in the mail for a warrant... the officer said "warrant for arrest" and not "bench warrant" - but after researching it i guess missing a court date would be a bench warrant. i can not even pay the ticket online as you would with other parking tickets.

the original ticket was for $25. i did not pay because i was unemployed for 11 months and could not afford to pay it. i had gone to the original court date, and it was continued. i missed the second court date because i had already taken 2 days off that week due to familial illness, was my 2nd week on this new job, and since i am recovering from being unemployed for so long, and i was yelled at for taking 2 days off of work for my son, i didnt want to put my job in jeopardy so i missed the court date.
    how much do you think i will need to pay now?

i can not afford an attorney. since i now have a few paychecks under my belt, i am willing to pay the ticket and fines, fees, etc etc etc. but i cant risk getting 'booked' if i go into the police station and do a self surrender.

im a pretty straight arrow kind of gal, and have not been in trouble like this before... also, will this appear on my civil/criminal record? i have a security clearance at my job!!!

what am i to expect??? please help.

Default Re: Bench Warrant in Illinois for Parking Tickets

You may be able to find out what the current fines are from the court. If your license is suspended, you will probably also have to pay a license reinstatement fee.

You can contact the police department (using the non-emergency number) to find out the procedure to turn yourself in on the warrant and resolve the tickets, ideally so you can go to court the same day (you don't want to spend time in jail if you can avoid it).

ok heres another question...
    with this warrant out on me for a parking ticket in county A... will i be arrested for my child support court date in county B???

Probably not, but if you want to be sure you can take care of the traffic warrant.

1. Sponsored Links