Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Shoplifting at JCPenney

I live in pennsylvania and was caught shoplifting at a local JcPennies. The police were called to check and see if I had a record. I do not, so loss prevention didn't have the police officer arrest me. He just left, no citation or anything. The loss prevention officer took a picture of me and had me sign two separate pieces of paper. I do not know what I signed. Like alot of other people here this was my first time and I was very frantic. He told me that I should let the courts always know my address incase I move because it would take about a year before I would hear from the courts regarding a hearing. The total merchandise was around 220.00 and they said I would be charged with a felony misdemeanor.
    Is that normal, I would have expected a sooner court date?
    I received the civil demand letter about a month ago and against my attorneys wishes I am paying it. They were the victum of my carelessness and they do deserve compensation from me.
    I know I did something terribly wrong and I am getting help to see what the reasons are for something very outside my character. I would like to get a court date asap and get this taken care of. Is this year long court date normal for JcPennies in the state of pa?
    Thanks for any answers you could provide.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Shoplifting JCPennies

I have worked for JCP and if you were not cited (arrested) then your lucky they have a 100% prosection policy! If you have a court date then yes youwere arrested and depending on dollar amount it coud be felony (check your local laws) The two documents were acknowldegement form and civil demand yo already know about later. Acknowledgement form is merely form stateing what you took its dollar value and that you agree with what tookplace. If officer did not give you a ticket then yo were NOT arrested and ther will be NO courtdate! I hope you learned alesson because looks like you got off easy!

I certainly learned my lesson and then some. I did not get a ticket but they did say that I would hear from the courts in about 1 year.

You were most likely R.P.A.W.'d. That's -- Released Pending Application (of) Warrants. If they told you you'll be going to court (eventually), then definitely keep the courts apprised of any address change.

Hate to break it to ya, but you are not out of the (legal) woods yet!

When you say R.P.A.W. Does that mean that there will be a warrant out for my arrest and I'll have to call the police so they can arrest me? The LP Officer said that if the court cannot contact me at that time they would put a warrant out but if they have a good address then I will get a court date.

panther10758 Guest

It means exactly what soups!

Speak English. You may be a LP guy and know all the lingo but I don't. I've never dealt with a legal situation until now and am not sure how the system works.

panther10758 Guest

It means DA can still choose to file charges on you. Until statue of limitations runs out you could still face charges for theft! Some store opt to use system soups decribes as it saves time and gives DA time to look case over and file charges. So as my friend soups says your not out of legal woods yet!

Yes, it would be great to be out of the legal woods but I know I was wrong and am willing to face what punishment I need to. I just wish they would decided now! I think the waiting to find out is the punishment in itself.

When the warrant goes through you will be notified via certified letter to turn yourself in within a certain time period. In MOST, but not ALL, cases, if you comply as instructed, you'll be booked in and possibly released on your own recognizance. That means you may not have to post a bond.

BUT!, if you do not comply and they have to come looking for ya, then you're looking at probably a 20 hour jail spell, an appearance before a judge with at least a $1000 bond.

The important thing to remember is to 'play' along with the program, get this incident behind you and move on. MOST IMPORTANTLY, learn from your error in judgement!!!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast