Default Moving Out at Age 17

I currently live in Oregon, and 17 years of age.
    My family verbally abuses me, and emotionally neglects me.
    I told my family I would like to move out since it'll best for both of us, and they agreed, however, they want me to do it legally.
    I have considered emancipation, but during my research I learned it could be a long process, and by the time that is over, I will already be 18. I have though considered just sticking it out until then, but I don't know if I could mentally stand to stay at my home anymore.

I was wondering if I could move out if my family gave consent to do so, and if they said I could, what kind of process would I need to go through?

Thanks!

Default Re: Moving Out at 17

If your family wants to help you live somewhere else, they are welcome to do so. However, if anything should happen to you as a result, they might find themselves on the hook for neglect charges.

And I would love to hear what you think it means to be "verbally abused" or "emotionally neglected." These and similar buzz words are used by probably every teenager in the USA at one point in time or another. While these nebulous phrases will do nothing to legally terminate your parents rights, if they agree to let you live out of the home then you can live out of the home. Their responsibility for you does not end until you are 18, however. So, if you wish to burn this bridge be sure that you are prepared to meet all your future needs and obligations the day you turn 18, and if college is in your future, be prepared to pay for it yourself.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

I have money, and a job. Everything I need is prepared for. I was just wanting to know what process I would need to go through, but from what you told me, there really isn't one.
    Thank you anyway.

There isn't one if your parents give you permission to move out. It's when you try to move out without permission that things get sticky.

Quote Quoting mcclm739
    View Post
    I have money, and a job. Everything I need is prepared for. I was just wanting to know what process I would need to go through, but from what you told me, there really isn't one.
    Thank you anyway.
    Believe me when I tell you that you THINK you are ready to make it in the adult world, but it will be tougher than you think. Every teen (including most of us here) thought the same thing at your age - we had a job, money (a little, and not nearly enbough), understood how to take care of ourselves, and we KNEW that life would be so much better on our own. With the exception of those whose lives truly were living hells (usually due to criminal victimization) life was not nearly so easy as we thought.

But, teenagers do know more than their parents and the rest of the adult world, so, good luck.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links