I moved out of a townhouse that I rented in Virginia for about 16 months on May 31, 2006 with a proper written 30 day notice. At that time I did a walk-through with the landlordís representatives and we went over all the damages that were done to the house. My dogs had torn up the trim from around the front door to the point where it clearly had to be replaced. I offered to replace it before I moved but was told that the landlord would prefer to do it. Other then damage to the trim there was damage to the window blinds on two windows as well. I was concerned over how much I would be charged for all of this and was assured that none of these repairs would exceed the $450.00 security deposit that the landlord held. They did mention at that time that the carpets looked dirty and I should clean them again before I left. I did not receive any confirmation of this in writing.
Now over 100 days later I received a letter demanding payment in 10 days for damages/cleaning fees to the property that well exceeded the $450 amount, in fact they are requesting $1,300 more. At no time had I received anything detailing what these charges are for, just the total and that they were for damages/cleaning fees. I never bothered to ask for my security deposit back as I assumed that they were going to try and keep it and since I was over 300 miles away, it would be a hassle to try and get back what little I would be entitled to.
I wrote them back about 15 days after receiving their letter and stated that I did not know what these charges were for as this was the first time I was notified of them; as well as I was NEVER given any itemized list of the damages. I could not be held responsible for charges I was never correctly informed about.
I am not sure where to go from here. I am awaiting their response. I have read the statute for Virginia but am still unclear if they can still sue me after the 45 days if this is the first time I am hearing about the charges, and they still have not told me what they are for exactly. They knew how to contact via mail, so that could not have been the reason for their delay. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!