Question Can You Ask Your Lawyer for an Advance to Pay Bills

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of: PENNSYLVANIA.

Hello, I've (35 years old/male) been dealing with a workmen's comp case for the past ten years with the aid of my lawyer for the entire time. I work for a major retail store that rhymes with "bullseye". The case is heading towards settlement as the company is asking me for a figure to settle the case. The injuries are not in dispute.

My question is about asking my lawyer for an advance against the settlement I will be receiving to help pay some current and over-due bills.

So here's the question: Is it OK or CUSTOMARY to ask your lawyer for an advance (2,000 dollars) to pay some bills when dealing with an ongoing monetary settlement where the payout will be in the upper half of the six figure range?

Thanks ahead for any help I may receive.

Default Re: Is It Ok or Customary to Ask Your Lawyer for an Advance to Pay Bills

There isn't any law saying you can't. There isn't any law saying the lawyer has to agree either.

Default Re: Is It Ok or Customary to Ask Your Lawyer for an Advance to Pay Bills

The lawyer cannot loan you money for personal expenses out of potential future proceeds.
    Quote Quoting Financial Assistance
    (10) Lawyers may not subsidize lawsuits or administrative proceedings brought on behalf of their clients, including making or guaranteeing loans to their clients for living expenses, because to do so would encourage clients to pursue lawsuits that might not otherwise be brought and because such assistance gives lawyers too great a financial stake in the litigation. These dangers do not warrant a prohibition on a lawyer lending a client court costs and litigation expenses, including the expenses of medical examination and the costs of obtaining and presenting evidence, because these advances are virtually indistinguishable from contingent fees and help ensure access to the courts. Similarly, an exception allowing lawyers representing indigent clients to pay court costs and litigation expenses regardless of whether these funds will be repaid is warranted.
    You can discuss the possibility of a so-called "lawsuit loan", but the terms of such loans are usually so bad that they are the last place to look for money.

1. Sponsored Links