Default Credit Card Company Lawsuit

My mother is being sued by Discover card for $6,000 for an over due balance. We are in michigan. I opened a discover card under her name to pay for expenses on a business that my parents helped me open. They are both partners of mine in my business. The business went south Sept of 06 and that is when we couldn't afford to make payments and the business finally close in April of 06. My question is I want to know what I can do to settle this matter. I want to personally pay off Discover but, I do not have the funds to do that right now. I just got a job and am willing to make monthly payments. Do you think I can still do that or is it too late to make payment arrangements?

Default Re: Credit Card Company Lawsuit

A possibility would be for your mother ty try to work out a consent judgment and installment payments with the law firm that has sued her. The delinquency and judgment debt will appear on her credit report. From what you write, you're not identified as a debtor on the card, and are not a party to the lawsuit.

It's only been 1 year right? they shoudln't be ready to take you to court yet. Try to make a deal. Givem 50%, and drop the case. Get it in writing.

The phrasing, "... is being sued ..." suggests that this is already in court. The original poster should clarify the situation if that's not the case.

We got a letter in the mail that we are being sued. Sent from their law offices. It has court papers attached to it.

I am still leary that they are taking it to court so soon, for a relatively small amount of money. Did it come "certified" mail? As an expert in recieving these letters, they can look very decieving.

1. Sponsored Links