Default Custody of an Unrelated Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of Maryland: I have an 11 year old god-daughter. I get her every weekend, every holiday, and every summer. I buy her all of her school clothes and majority of her clothes throughout the year and help her with her academics. This has been our routine since she was born. She has been emotionally and physically abused at home and she suffers from obesity because of her eating habits at home. Her mothers boyfriend is a drunk who is also abusive and her mother threatens to keep her from spending time with me and lots of times takes the things that I buy for her. She has her own room at my house. Is there any chance that I can get custody of her or get legal visitation rights. She stays depressed all the time and I worry about her, I provide a lot of her care so what are my odds.She is terribly afraid of her mother and "step-father".I have tried talking to her mother and her mother's boyfriend. I try to spend more time witth her to keep her out of that house as much as possible. I don't know what else to do because I don't think I have any legal rights and if i call cps she will be with strangers and even more depressed.

Default Re: Custody of an Unrelated Child

If she is being abused, you call CPS.

This should be about her - not where you want her to go. I'm not being mean, but that's where you need to focus. If there is reason to remove her, CPS will at least initially try to reunify her with Mom (in other words, Mom will get at least one chance to clean up her act).

Where is the child's father?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

It's not at all about where I want her to go because I really just want her safe but she expressed to me how much she really didn't want me to call CPS she only wants to leave if she can come to my house. She said she does not want to be with a stranger she will just run away. Her father is a drug addict and has a mental disability i think skitzafrenia or something like that. Her school had got involved before but I don't know what happened with that now she is in a new school (middle school). I don't think the physical abuse is going on anymore because she started getting bigger and more intimidating but they definately emotionally abuse her and call her fat but keep feeding her very unhealthy stuff like deep fried hotdogs and ramen noodles all the time. I don't want to fail her but i don't want her to runaway and be on her own either.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible for me to get custody. Or if another relative took her would I be able to get visitation???? I don't think she can stay with her grandmother because a lot of people live in their house and she wont have a room and one is a convicted felon.

You have no standing to sue for custody or visitation at this point.

In order for you to get custody, BOTH parents would have to agree. Or you'd have to prove both parents unfit. Feeding her hotdogs and ramen doesn't come close.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

What she eats is only PART of a problem if obesity is at hand. The AMOUNTS she eats and the amount of time she spends BURNING OFF what she eats are equally important factors, and those two things are within HER control. Unless she's bed-bound and mom is feeding her only donuts, this portion of her problem won't have bearing on custody or guardianship.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

1. Sponsored Links