Default Punishment for Cyber Bullying

My question involves education law in the State of: KY

My son, who's never been in trouble before, has been accused of cyber bullying. It started with a tweet from a friend that read "gay people should have their own bathrooms". My son responded with a particular boys name and a question mark. The boy my son named is known to have told people he thought my son was "cute", would like to have sex with him and was in or around the bathroom at the time of the original tweet. The school called to tell me what happened and that my son will have In School Suspension for two days. I agree with that punishment and I was very embarrassed that it happened. They also told me they would turn it over to the School Resource Officer and he will determine if he wants to pursue it legally. That, I think is taking it a little too far. The tweet my son posted was not during school hours (he only attends school for 1/2 a day) and he was not on school property at the time. I've never received any kind of policy on Cyber Bullying so I have no idea how things are supposed to handled. I would like to know what and if I have a leg to stand on, given the history and the fact that I am not aware of any policy in place.

Default Re: Cyber Bullying

Ask Phoebe Prince and Jessica Laney if it's going too far, to stop this kind of thing before it can take hold.

Oh wait, you can't. They're dead as a result of the bullying treatment they received. I'll bet their parents wish someone had taken a hard line with the bullys of their children before it got so out of hand.

What I was looking for was LEGAL advice about a one time incident which does not compare to either person you've mentioned. Bullying, as defined in the school's policy, is something that happens repeatedly and over time. LEGALLY my child should not be punished at all but since I want him to realize what he did was wrong I am letting the school give him his two day suspension.

You are LETTING the school suspend him?

You think that LEGALLY they are not allowed to punish him unless you permit it?

Someone else talk to this twit - I'm likely to reach through the monitor and strangle her.

Ask the school for a copy of their cyber bullying policy.

Things are different from when we were in school. Bullying then was face to face. With computers, cell phones, etc - bullying is at a much worse level.

If you think your child should not LEGALLY be suspended - go see a local attorney in your area to prove the case.

1. Sponsored Links