Default Fare Evasion, PC 640(C)(1)

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California. To be more specific, Stockton. I began using the bus transportation to my college on August, and received a ticket for fare evasion in September. I explained to the officer that It honestly slipped my mind that I had to buy a bus pass prior to entering the bus because the bus doors were about to close and I was going to be late for work at my college. Unfortunately, when cops start writing, they have to finish. I even showed him proof of about 20 recent bus passes I bought that month. And if this makes any difference, I'm a minor. Now I have court tomorrow and my father told me to say that I'm guilty with an excuse, due to forgetfulness and proof of a lot of bus cards, proving I wouldn't do it on purpose. Any tips on what to say tomorrow?

Default Re: Fare Evasion (PC 640 (C) (1)

Cases are not tried on the bus (or on the side of the road). You appear to have no defense. If you boarded without a pass, you needed to pay the single fare. You can try your sob story on the judge, but I don't give you much hope.

Default Re: Fare Evasion (PC 640 (C) (1)

^^Agreed^^

Quote Quoting farhadfzl
    View Post
    I explained to the officer that It honestly slipped my mind that I had to buy a bus pass prior to entering the bus because the bus doors were about to close and I was going to be late for work at my college.
    I predict that the answer you will hear will be "try and get there a little earlier next time, Guilty as charged!"

As for your 20 passes, remember, buying a pass is the norm, it is required by law and when you do comply, you are simply doing what you are required to do, nothing more that you should later be rewarded for!

Quote Quoting farhadfzl
    View Post
    I'm guilty with an excuse, due to forgetfulness and proof of a lot of bus cards, proving I wouldn't do it on purpose. Any tips on what to say tomorrow?
    A guilty with an excuse plea is a guilty plea along with putting yourself at the mercy of the court. And there is no requirement for the prosecution to prove that you intended (on purpose) to evade paying the fare... Only that you never did.

Two additional points here, one, if you are a minor, there might be a requirement for you to appear with a parent or a guardian., Did your parent not receive a notice from the court?

And two, the penalty for a violation of PC640 includes a mandatory sentence to perform community service although I don't think the court can impose that on a minor. So not sure what your judge will do in that regard!

1. Sponsored Links