Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Can You Be Evicted if You've Already Moved Out

My question involves an eviction in the state of: Nevada. I live in Las Vegas and have been in my current apartment for 8 years. I had a water problem that soaked my rug so I rented a room at a daily/weekly/monthly manor for 4 weeks. On 11/12/12, seven days before I moved back to my apartment I paid a weeks rent and told the clerk 11/17/12 would be my last day. My receipt says departure date: 11/17/12. Five weeks later they tell me I was evicted and someone had paid rent for my room a couple times but they know it wasn't me. I checked in with my home address and cell phone number but no ever tried to contact me. They have security and maids and no one even knocked at the door, I guess. All I know is I have an eviction on my record and I owe them $640.00. I have no idea what to do but if this goes to collections and on my credit report it will ruin my credit and I've been out of work over a year. Thanks for any thoughts in advanced.

Default Re: How Can I Be Evicted 3 Weeks After I'd Already Moved Out

When you sent them a copy of the receipt, what happened?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Hello, L.R Missy, thanks for your reply. I did send them a copy of my receipt with a letter explaining my side and my home apartment receipts for rent paid the month before, the month I was there and the this month along with my managers phone number to verify I've been here 8 years and never late with the rent. I asked how could you accept rent for my room but not from me and you don't know who. (ans: anyone can pay rent for anyone) Why didn't anyone try to contact me by phone or mail? (no ans) How did you know that I wasn't dead in the room and the phantom rent payers were my killers? (no ans). Why didn't security or maids knock on the door if they thought I was in there? (no ans). So far I have had friendly conversations with a manager but he just keeps saying I'm sorry, would you like to make payments on the $640.00.

You say the manor claims they evicted you. Were you served papers? Was an eviction filed in your local court? If no, you don't have an eviction on your record.

If the manager of the manor keeps insisting that you pay more, I would suggest you take your receipts to a local attorney.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

She was talking about the receipt you received upon check out, when you turned in the key, which proves you left.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I was never served or have seen any papers and the manager was off today. I've checked with our local court and I have a legal eviction on my record. I guess I will have to look for an attorney. Thanks for your advice.

When you looked at the court records, they would have reflected where, when and how you were supposedly served. What were they claiming?

Hi Mr Know it all, Thank for your reply. It looks like 17 days after I was gone. Here's what I found...

12E022932 Sportsmans Royal Manor, Landlord(s) vs. John, Tenant(s) 12/04/2012
    JC Department 3 Summary Eviction
    Closed

Register of Actions
    Case No. 12E022932
    Sportsmans Royal Manor, Landlord(s) vs. John, Tenant(s)

Case Type: Summary Eviction
    Date Filed: 12/04/2012
    Eviction Address-Line 1: 5600 Boulder 2485

Party Information Lead Attorneys Landlord Sportsmans Royal Manor Tenant , John Events & Orders of the Court OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS 12/04/2012 Order for Summary Eviction (Dept 3)
    5600 Boulder Hwy 2485 Las Vegas, NV 89122
    12/04/2012 Summary Eviction Landlord Complaint
    Affidavit Of Complaint, 5-day Notice
    Financial Information Landlord Sportsmans Royal Manor Total Financial Assessment 49.00 Total Payments and Credits 49.00 Balance Due as of 12/22/2012 0.00 12/04/2012 Transaction Assessment 49.00 12/04/2012 JC E-Filings Receipt # CIV-2012-392034 Sportsman's Royal Manor (49.00)

That's a summary of the court record, presumably from the court website. The issue, though, is when and how you were supposedly served with the five-day notice and the eviction lawsuit. If they weren't claiming to have served you, the case should not have proceeded to judgment.

There are circumstances when it makes sense to proceed to judgment despite a tenant's claim that he had or would be moving out - the lawsuit may also be seeking money damages, so the landlord may want to proceed in order to get a money judgment, and there may be issues with a tenant who denies having agreed to move out (or denies actually surrendering the premises) after the case is dismissed. Your case sounds more like a mix-up, but I can't help you figure out what might have happened without knowing the details.

Thanks Mr KIA. I was going to call the manager and ask, what happend to the papers on the door or copies. and if they have any lobby pictures or know who supposedly paid the rent a couple times or was in the room. Unless you have any advice. I can PM you or what ever you think. I'm in Vegas 32 years and this is unheard of

UPDATE I tried the manager and he's in and walking the property. He seems like a nice guy and is walking the property a lot. He has a security staff and even metro as back up and I can't understand how they wouldn't knock on this door at least to check the welfare of a tenant no one has seen since 11/11/12 when I paid my last weeks rent and told the clerk sat the 17 was my last day

- - - Updated - - -

I have one more bit of news: I called the court clerk and she looked at the eviction paper for 10 minutes and then put me on hold for 10 minutes and came back on and said, they gave me this notice because theres a signature on it. I asked if it was John ??? and she said she can't make it out. If I was at the eviction would I have had to sign that paper because I did not receive or sign anything. I'm going to the court to pick up a copy but I have a job interview first.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast