Question Non Family Member Getting Custody Of A Child

Hello.
    I'm not going to disclose my info for certain reasons.But you can call me jane doe. A female the age of 15 is getting emotionally abused, and threatend to be locked in closets for being a lesbian. Her father was a drunk he abbused her when she was just a child. He has a massive anger issue, he scares her incredibly, shes literally fearing for her life. I was just wondering, is there someway that my mother could get custody of her legally. We are no realtion she is just my best friend. She feels most comfortable here, we don't need support from her father or step father. Her mother has passed away, she feels like she has no one. Is there any way people whom are no relatives to get custody of 15 year old child in ohio?

sincerly,
    Jane Doe.

Default Re: Non Family Member Getting Custody Of A Child

There are a lot of parents who aren't comfortable with their teens coming out of the closet, but usually it's not quite so literal.

It would be very difficult for a third party to win a guardianship lawsuit against a natural parent who has custody of the child, and losing that fight is potentially a very expensive process. The better approach is to obtain permission for the child to live outside of the home. For situations where it is necessary to get a child out of her home and into a stable environment, it may be necessary to involve child protective services.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    There are a lot of parents who aren't comfortable with their teens coming out of the closet, but usually it's not quite so literal.

It would be very difficult for a third party to win a guardianship lawsuit against a natural parent who has custody of the child, and losing that fight is potentially a very expensive process. The better approach is to obtain permission for the child to live outside of the home. For situations where it is necessary to get a child out of her home and into a stable environment, it may be necessary to involve child protective services.
    Thank you. We've recently gotten news that her aunt would like to have gaurdianship of her. Her aunt knows of her sexuality and is wonderful about it. But her father will never consent. How easy would it be for her aunt to get custody of her?
    -Jane Doe

As previously indicated, it would be very difficult for a third party (including an aunt) to win a guardianship lawsuit against a natural parent who has custody of the child, and losing that fight is potentially a very expensive process.

1. Sponsored Links