Default Can I Sell a Car with Suspended Plates and Registration

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Illinois

My car's license plate registration was recently suspended due to a lapse in insurance coverage. Unfortunately, I now need to sell this car due to financial circumstances. Can I sell it as long as the purchaser arranges for new plates and registration? Or does the suspension need to be lifted before the purchaser can register new plates?

I would not be selling to any family or friends, I simply need to sell the car outright.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Can I Sell a Car with Suspended Plates and Registration

I don't see anything in Illinois law that would prohibit you from selling the vehicle. The restriction seems to be focused on you.
    Quote Quoting 625 ILCS 5/7-305. Suspension until proof furnished.
    The suspension of such certificates of registration, license plates and registration stickers of such person as provided for in Section 7-304 shall remain in effect and the Secretary of State shall not issue to any such person any new or renewal of driver's license and shall not register or re-register in the name of such person any motor vehicle until permitted under this Article and not then unless and until said person gives proof of his financial responsibility in the future, as defined in this Code, such proof to be maintained by said person in a manner satisfactory to the Secretary of State for a period of 3 years after the date such proof is first filed.
    Some states have provisions - statutes or regulations - to prevent sham transactions (i.e., you "sell" the car to a relative and keep on driving it). You can confirm with the DMV, but from what I've seen I expect you'll learn that you can sell the vehicle in an arm's-length transaction.

1. Sponsored Links