Default Surviving Parent Custody

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: California
    as the father what do you need to do to get legal & physical custody of a child when the child when the mother has passed away?

Default Re: Surviving Parent Custody

What other information can you give? Such as who has the child right now if you do not? Where you married/divorced and was paternity established? What does the current custody order state? Visitation? Have you exercised your visitation if you have visitation? etc etc etc
    Your OP makes it sound like the mother passed away and you are the father but you are not in contact with the child?

i am the father and we were never married. we never had a legal custody order, we just worked it out between us. right now my daughter goes back and forth between me and her grandparents (her mothers parents). there is no vistitation problems and we are trying to do what is best for my daughter. i would just like to make sure i have legal custody of her in case things change. i was told in CA that if the parents are not married no one has legal custody. since im her only parent i would like to know what steps to take to obtain legal custody.

Are you legally her father?

i am her biological father and listed on her birth certificate. but no papers were ever filed to give me legal custody.

Quote Quoting spoor381
    View Post
    i am her biological father and listed on her birth certificate. but no papers were ever filed to give me legal custody.
    I believe that is all you need to show proof that your have legal & physical custody. I think your talking about no court paperwork showing a parenting plan as if your not married then you both have rights but would have to go to court to show who the child would live with and also set up visitation.

You might need to go to the court house with a death cert and a copy of your child's birth cert.

1. Sponsored Links