Exclamation How Long Does CPS Have to Close a Special Needs Case

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: TEXAS

CPS was called on me September 1 of this year; stating that I didn't feed my kids, I had trash everywhere, and my kids had so many bruises on them it looked like it hurt for them to move. I pretty much had cops beat down my door; they found nothing and actually opened up a police investigation on the person who called on me (we had just moved in; so only one person had been in my home, and I had just nearly got her fired) they issued her a ticket for filing a false police document, and one other one but I don't remember. but still said that cps had to investigate; cps came by 2 weeks later because that same lady called on me again, stating that my son had down syndrome that we were not treating (he does have medical problems but severe allergies and such not anything even near down syndrome and he receives care) and that I was crying all the time (which I wasn't, I did have a death in the family that week so yes I was alittle teary eyed but who wouldn't be). the cps lady was very nice and told me that after the cops came by she wasn't even going to stop by to investigate for another month; but then got another call. (I think she made this call, because after she called on us before and got the tickets she lost her job) so cps agent says that in a few weeks we will receive a letter reporting her findings. we never received anything; then November 2 she knocks on my door again; (I assumed that the case was closed, as I hadn't received any kind of contact for a month, or 2 months since the first call) but she came looked around, saw my son, called his doctors to make sure that he was getting his medical care. she told me that the reason she had to stop by again is because my son is special needs it turned the case into a special needs case. so she was just checking again before she closed out the case. she said again within 2 weeks we will receive a letter closing the case. it has now been another month, still nothing!

ive heard that calling the cps agent to see when she will close it; looks bad and can make them not close it. I know that im doing nothing wrong, we have people in our house 3-4 times a week doing therapy with my son, he goes to his doctor appointments etc. he is behind on his vaccines but that is due to his allergies being in the shots and his doctor is who put him on hold for right now. my question is how long can this be dragged out? can she just pop up every few months then give me no information about my case until she feels like closing it? is there a time limit on her doing something we haven't even gotten a case plan (what I keep finding online, that tells you what your supposed to do to get your case closed) we have received no calls or mail from them at all just them coming over at random. at this point do I need a lawyer? I just don't really know what to do.

I know that this case being open doesn't really affect anything; but it doesn't feel good knowing that you have an open cps investigation. so im just trying to get some kind of answers or advice.

thanks so much for reading!

EDIT:
    so im reading other cps cases on here where their kids are removed; so just wanted to state that I still have both of my children and they have never talked about taking them away. I just want this to over with or to know what to do in order to close the case.

Default Re: How Long Does CPS Have to Close a Special Needs Case

We are not in a position to tell you if the letter is slow to come because your agency (like 99.99999% of other social services agencies in the country) is overworked and understaffed, or if it's because they have an additional concern (or concerns) that they want to address. If it's been a month with no contact, following their indicating that they are not going to take further action or investigation, I would cautiously bet on their being overworked.

ok thanks; is there some kind of time limit that will make it inactive/close it if we don't ever get a letter? or is it something that every few months or so they can just stop by to check? we have received no documentation from cps or the police, and the only thing we ever had to sign for them was a medical release form (to make sure we were making all my special needs sons appointments; and because at first they didn't believe that a corn allergy kept him from gaining weight. even though once we found out about his allergy and put him on a corn free diet he gained 5 lbs and 2.5 inches in 1 month; doctor even said that because his body was fighting all the food; he wasn't gaining weight. now hes at the 20 percent which is a big jump in 5 months from the 3 percent that he was originally at)

sorry I kind of got off track; but is there a time limit on them to notify us of something. or is it just something that they can come by anytime for years. I ask all this because we will be moving out of state next year; but don't wnt to move with an open cps case (especially when its open but theres no plan, and they have only stopped by a month apart.) is this something to get a lawyer over? or will that make things worse?
    thanks again for everyone reading this.

The amount of time CPS can look over your shoulder to make sure that your kids are okay? Think "Eighteen years minus their present age".

It sounds to me like CPS and the police both realize the allegations were unfounded. For your own peace of mind, call the lady and speak with her. It's ok to call, and it won't change anything, either way. (except maybe to remind her to close out the case)

I totally understand your fears, as some people call cps out of spite, and it can be absolutely nerve-wracking. I haven't read anything in what you've written that would indicate you have anything to worry about.
    ~Christina

Unless a source is cited, anything posted here by me is only my opinion, and is not meant as legal advice.

thank you so much! yeah it has been very nerve wracking just because none of these things were true or even possible of something thinking that they happened. it helps that she did face charges for it; even if its just a few tickets and her job. thanks again ill call her tomorrow.

Please let us know the outcome. Good luck.
    ~Christina

Unless a source is cited, anything posted here by me is only my opinion, and is not meant as legal advice.

ok I will; shes on vacation. but ill let you know what I find out
    thanks again

1. Sponsored Links