Default Marriage Fraud - I'm The Victim

MyWife is from Japan. We've been married for 3 1/2 yrs. We just perchased a condo in Sept of last yr. We planned to have kids. In Feb. I had started a new job and in the begining of Mar. she started having an affair with someone whom had attened our house warming in Nov.

I had no idea this was happening til the end of Mar (3/31/05) and confronted her. In an Email she blatantly discribes how the other man offered to marry her to keep her in tis country and how she states "that she doesn't need that anymore." At this point she still has restrictions on her Residency.

In attemp to reconcile my marriage I did nothing for 5 days. After which her immigration attorney called to tell her she had been approved for permanent status.

Realizing I had been played the fool, I forwarded copies of my proof to my local immigration office. I was told that it my take month for them to investigate. She has continued with her affair and moved out. I asked her several times to give me a divorce. She has refused or stalled and I can't understand why.

I've since begun divorce proceeding and now she's attempting to sue me for half the value of the condo. Can I sue for marriage fraud and if so who could I turn to in my area? What are the steps to suing marriage fraud related to immigration. (MN resident)

Default Divorce & Fraud by Spouse

You presumably will want to raise these issues as part of your divorce, as a basis for minimizing your wife's share of the marital estate. Your divorce attorney should assist with that, and should be able to advise you as to the validity of any tort claims you might have.

Default Re: Marriage Fraud... I'm the victim

I feel so sorry for you because I'm going through the same thing right now. The immigration laws seem to be stacked against U.S. citizens in such cases.

I live in Dallas, but met my Bulgarian wife in Dubai where I work frequently. We got married in Bugaria in 2004 when I was 46 and she was 29 (I thought I got lucky too). She arrived in the U.S. on 10/13/2004 (the date of her conditional resident visa) and acted like she hated the U.S.

She worked from Jan-05 through May-05 and then went back to Bulgaria for nearly four months! After returning, she found Bulgarian Friends in Dallas and started an affair in Jan-06. It took me until the day after Valantine's Day to discover it with phone records, photos (from her computer and camera) and later, e-mails I had translated. I have wrote to the local director of Homeland Security about this and included the proof (but with no response). Given that she went back to Bulgaria (again) on 3/21/06, I followed up with another letter to DHS documenting that she has only been in the country for a total of 13-1/2 months (yet we've been married for one year and almost 11 months).

Several e-mails clearly show that she was checking with attorneys about getting a divorce so she could go to immigration on her own and get a waiver in order to have the conditions removed from her visa. These were all written before I discovered the affair. I'm trying to drag the divorce out past July 13 (by which time I understand the I-751 must be filed to have conditions removed).

No one can seem to point me to my rights on this matter or where to go for help.

Default Re: Marriage Fraud - I'm the victim

My friend,,, i dont want to sound offensive but you leave me no choice...

how old are you? 46? .....

do you really want to spend money and TIME on this woman...???

no...dont do that to yourself... if you were 19 or 20 yrs old maybe....but no.. you know what to do...

Default Re: Marriage Fraud... I'm the victim

Quote Quoting dmarshpmk
    View Post
    I feel so sorry for you because I'm going through the same thing right now. The immigration laws seem to be stacked against U.S. citizens in such cases.

I live in Dallas, but met my Bulgarian wife in Dubai where I work frequently. We got married in Bugaria in 2004 when I was 46 and she was 29 (I thought I got lucky too). She arrived in the U.S. on 10/13/2004 (the date of her conditional resident visa) and acted like she hated the U.S.

She worked from Jan-05 through May-05 and then went back to Bulgaria for nearly four months! After returning, she found Bulgarian Friends in Dallas and started an affair in Jan-06. It took me until the day after Valantine's Day to discover it with phone records, photos (from her computer and camera) and later, e-mails I had translated. I have wrote to the local director of Homeland Security about this and included the proof (but with no response). Given that she went back to Bulgaria (again) on 3/21/06, I followed up with another letter to DHS documenting that she has only been in the country for a total of 13-1/2 months (yet we've been married for one year and almost 11 months).

Several e-mails clearly show that she was checking with attorneys about getting a divorce so she could go to immigration on her own and get a waiver in order to have the conditions removed from her visa. These were all written before I discovered the affair. I'm trying to drag the divorce out past July 13 (by which time I understand the I-751 must be filed to have conditions removed).

No one can seem to point me to my rights on this matter or where to go for help.
    I am also going through the same thing you are. I have written USCIS many times and have gone though a Congressman to see if USCIS can help me out. No Luck. I also tried talking to the immigration subcommittee on the hill to see if the can raise the requirements that a foreign national would need to stay with married to a US Citizen. One of the members told me that their political party would not sponsor such a bill. The US Government is failing to protect its citizens from these types of scams. We really need to raise this issue with Congress. One person cannot get Congress' attention but many could.

Default Re: Marriage Fraud - I'm the victim

I can sadly relate to your marriage fraud issues since I am going through it now and it's been emotionally devastating! I'm trying for the annulment, but I've heard it's not easy in Maryland (my residence).

It's so discouraging to read the threads from other victims that we are almost powerless legally and emotionally drained from lack of support (direction & resources). I'm hoping that better and stronger laws are made to protect and support victims like us.

1. Sponsored Links