Default Unable to Find Work Due to a Misdemeanor Record for Stealing

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington/Arizona

When I was 18, around December of 2005, I aided my friend in stealing beer from a convenience store in Arizona. Not only did this incredibly stupid night haunt me for the rest of my life, but it's also keeping me from finding a job. I need to figure out what to do to get out of this.

• How can I find the exact date of my misdemeanor? It was a long time ago, and I don't remember the exact date.
    • In Washington, after 7 years can a company still deny me a job for having a misdemeanor? (Do I need to report I have one after 7 years?)
    • How can I go about getting this expunged? Since I don't live in the state it occurred is this a problem?
    • What does getting a record expunged involve? Does it cost anything, do I have to do community service?

I just need help getting my life on track. This misdemeanor is horrifying. I appreciate any help you can spare. Thank you!

Default Re: Unable to Find Work Due to a Misdemeanor. Need Help Figuring This Out

How can I find the exact date of my misdemeanor?
    Contact the court in which you were convicted. You may be eligible to apply to have the verdict set aside, but do understand that it is not the same as an expungement, and if you're asked if you've ever been convicted at all, you will still need to disclose it. Contact an AZ attorney for assistance.

In Washington, after 7 years can a company still deny me a job for having a misdemeanor?
    Criminal records do not disappear. In the state of Washington, convictions that occurred in the past 10 years may be considered under certain circumstances. You can read more here.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Unable to Find Work Due to a Misdemeanor. Need Help Figuring This Out

What benefit do I gain from having the verdict set aside? Will that help me get a job?

So after 10 years I can't be denied a job due to the misdemeanor?

Hi, I'm a volunteer on this forum.

I have a 3.5 year old misdemeanor. I was having difficulty finding work before that! First and only offense...

Yes, it's hard to find a job in this economy. It's harder if you have a misdemeanor.

What floors me is that there are tax credits for employers to hire people with a felony who have just gotten out of prison or are on work release. Who did the worst crime here? But that's how it is.

I've spent years looking for work, even before my crime. I've been lucky lately.

Toys R Us is hiring for seasonal workers.
    McDonald's hires first time offenders with misdemeanors.
    If there is something you are knowledgeable out...well, check out "gigs" under CraigsList.

1. Sponsored Links