Default Can a Deposition Transcript from One Case Be Used in Trial of Another Case

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Florida

What I want to know is can the deposition transcript in one case be used in another case? Let's say the issues in both cases are similar...and let's say they are not. Does that make a difference? Any legal authority on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Can a Deposition Transcript from One Case Be Used in Trial of Another Case

A deposition transcript can be used in a variety of ways - how it could be used in a case in which one or more of the parties was not involved in the original taking of the deposition will depend upon the full facts and context.

Default Re: Can a Deposition Transcript from One Case Be Used in Trial of Another Case

Quote Quoting afoul001
    View Post
    My question involves court procedures for the state of: Florida

What I want to know is can the deposition transcript in one case be used in another case?
    You bet, why you think not?

No help at all mr. knowitall. Thanks though.

Ill include some more facts for someone that cares to answer...This is a civil suit in Florida. X is suing Y. Z is a non-party to the suit between X/Y and has his depo taken. At a later date X sues Z for issues related to the X/Y case. Can Z's deposition transcript from the X/Y case be used against him in the new case between X/Z?

If someone actually goes into details for the answer, here's some more relevant factoids. Z is within 100 miles of the court location. Substantially similar facts.

"Can Z's deposition transcript from the X/Y case be used against him in the new case between X/Z? "

Only possible answer to this (even if it weren't a "can it happen" question) is "yes", but of course we can't know precisely what you mean by "used against him" or in what context you're asking the question (I can guess that you mean in some relation to mean to rebut/challenge testimony given by Z). I doubt that the question posed is the only thing you need answered.

Distance to court location isn't a relevant factoid, I'm afraid.

Quote Quoting afoul001
    View Post
    No help at all mr. knowitall. Thanks though.
    There's no need for you to be an ass, but perhaps you can't help it.

If you want a more helpful answer, you need to ask a better question. It's all on you.

1. Sponsored Links