Default How to Get Roommate Evicted if They Are Not on the Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New Jersey.

Hi,

My mother has been a tenant at a home for approximately 14 years. Her roommate of 14 years passed on over a year ago. Now she has a roommate that is not on the lease and has lived there for a little over a year now sharing the common area and has her own room. My mother is on a month to month lease. Her roommate is not on the lease at all. My mother is a senior. For the past few months the living situation has gotten extremely uncomfortable for my mother. My mother expressed her concern with the landlord and she told my mother that the first step was to write a letter to her as to why she didn't want her living with her anymore. That she would then go forth with the eviction process. Now, the landlord is telling her that she has to do everything on her own, as far as getting a lawyer, going to court. She even suggested that they "work it out". The house is too small for them to work out their differences.

How does she go about asking her to leave? Is it all my mother's responsibility or does the landlord have some? The landlord told her she wouldn't help her evict her all of a sudden if she wants her out. We don't know where to turn and what our rights are.

Also, the landlord back a few months ago took my mother's copy of her lease back. She edited it and said now if my mother has her roommate move out her rent is going to go up from $800 to 1100. Is that legal to raise the rent like that by almost 40%? Because my mother complained that the common area is too cold the landlord told my mother that she may have to install a new heating vent. However, if she does that she's going to have to raise the rent again! My mother is making a little more than minimum wage and receives Social security. What can we do in these situations?? Please help! Thank you so much!

Default Re: How to Get Roommate Evicted That is Not on Lease in New Jersey

Quote Quoting dbnjzb
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New Jersey.

Hi,

My mother has been a tenant at a home for approximately 14 years. Her roommate of 14 years passed on over a year ago. Now she has a roommate that is not on the lease and has lived there for a little over a year now sharing the common area and has her own room. My mother is on a month to month lease. Her roommate is not on the lease at all. My mother is a senior. For the past few months the living situation has gotten extremely uncomfortable for my mother. My mother expressed her concern with the landlord and she told my mother that the first step was to write a letter to her as to why she didn't want her living with her anymore. That she would then go forth with the eviction process. Now, the landlord is telling her that she has to do everything on her own, as far as getting a lawyer, going to court. She even suggested that they "work it out". The house is too small for them to work out their differences.

How does she go about asking her to leave? Is it all my mother's responsibility or does the landlord have some? The landlord told her she wouldn't help her evict her all of a sudden if she wants her out. We don't know where to turn and what our rights are.

Also, the landlord back a few months ago took my mother's copy of her lease back. She edited it and said now if my mother has her roommate move out her rent is going to go up from $800 to 1100. Is that legal to raise the rent like that by almost 40%? Because my mother complained that the common area is too cold the landlord told my mother that she may have to install a new heating vent. However, if she does that she's going to have to raise the rent again! My mother is making a little more than minimum wage and receives Social security. What can we do in these situations?? Please help! Thank you so much!
    It sounds to me like your mother is on a month to month tenancy. I would suggest that your mother move herself instead of bothering with trying to evict a roommate and with the landlord playing games with rent.

Default Re: How to Get Roommate Evicted That is Not on Lease in New Jersey

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    It sounds to me like your mother is on a month to month tenancy. I would suggest that your mother move herself instead of bothering with trying to evict a roommate and with the landlord playing games with rent.
    Thanks for your comment. Yes she is month to month. The problem is she can't find a place close enough to work that she could afford. Therefore, she feels she would like to stay there by herself for awhile at least until she could find something.

1. Sponsored Links