Question Do Parents Have to Pay Child Support if Their Minor Child Has a Baby

My question involves child support in the State of: Florida.

Does anyone know of any legal precedent for paternal grandparents being held responsible (or not responsible)for the child support of our minor son's baby girl?

We were told for the past 10 months, by attorney's and experts on this forum, that we, the grandparents, were not responsible for our minor son's child support for his daughter. Everyone in the legal profession we spoke with assured us that we were not responsible for the support of our grandchild. Everyone told us that our son and his ex-girlfriend (both 16) were responsible for the support of their child.

I am retired and on disability, we do not feel this is right. We have been providing what was needed for our granddaughter, but we do not feel that we should be supplementing the income of the maternal grandparents. Does anyone know of any case decisions that clearly state the only two people who are responsible for this childs support are the two sixteen year old parents?

Yesterday in court, the Florida Judge ordered us to submit our financials to decide the amount of child support we were responsible for in this case (and the Judge did say that we were responsible for the support payments under Florida Law).

Default Re: Do Parents Have to Pay Child Support if Their Minor Child Has a Baby

Quote Quoting Fatherofchildfather
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Florida.

Does anyone know of any legal precedent for paternal grandparents being held responsible (or not responsible)for the child support of our minor son's baby girl?

We were told for the past 10 months, by attorney's and experts on this forum, that we, the grandparents, were not responsible for our minor son's child support for his daughter. Everyone in the legal profession we spoke with assured us that we were not responsible for the support of our grandchild. Everyone told us that our son and his ex-girlfriend (both 16) were responsible for the support of their child.

I am retired and on disability, we do not feel this is right. We have been providing what was needed for our granddaughter, but we do not feel that we should be supplementing the income of the maternal grandparents. Does anyone know of any case decisions that clearly state the only two people who are responsible for this childs support are the two sixteen year old parents?

Yesterday in court, the Florida Judge ordered us to submit our financials to decide the amount of child support we were responsible for in this case (and the Judge did say that we were responsible for the support payments under Florida Law).
    I don't recall ever seeing that scenario happen in FL, but I have seen it happen in several other states and I have seen it upheld on appeal in several other states.

Default Re: Do Parents Have to Pay Child Support if Their Minor Child Has a Baby

Under common law, the grandparents were not responsible for child support. I do not see any indication that Florida has passed a statute that would take it outside of the common law rule.

Thank you for a fast response.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

1. Sponsored Links