Default Citation for Failure to Yield to Oncoming Traffic, Causing a Left Turn Accident

I was involved in an accident where i was making a left turn and was hit by an oncoming car. Okay so i was making the left turn and all the traffic had come to a stop because the light up ahead was red ( there was no light at the intersection that i was crossing) there were three lanes on this particular road, so i crossed the first two lanes and looked to make sure there were no cars in the third lane (which there were not) and i began to cross the third lane. A car sped out from another lane and hit my car on the back passenger door. I do not want to plead guilty because i began my turn when it was "safe" and i feel like the damage to my car directly disputes his claim that i pulled out in front of him because there is absolutely no damage at all to the front end of my vehicle which in my opinion i would have if i had not began my turn when it was "safe". the width of an average lane is 12ft, the length of my vehicle is 16.4ft and the wheel base of his vehicle was 8.75ft, he hit my back passenger door which means that more than half of my vehicle was already in the intersection and i did in fact yield and began my turn when it was safe... (i don't think that it's fair for me to be held accountable because he switched lanes and did not pay attention to what was up ahead). i have pictures of my vehicle and the road, do you guys think i have a good chance in court???

Default Re: I Received a Citation for Failure to Yield to Oncoming Traffic/ Left Turn Acciden

, he hit my back passenger door which means that more than half of my vehicle was already in the intersection and i did in fact yield and began my turn when it was safe..
    where you were hit doesn't show anything really. Different speeds and distances apart when you started the turn can result in the other vehicle hitting you anywhere along the length of your car.

So far, you have said you made a left turn and a person who had right of way ended up hitting you.

I have to presume you were ticketed for failure to yield. Your description of the situation leaves a lot to be desired. First you say the traffic was stopped at a red light but then you say the car that hit you changed lanes and ended up hitting you. Did they all run a red light?

Default Re: I Received a Citation for Failure to Yield to Oncoming Traffic/ Left Turn Acciden

in quotations i stated that there was no light at the intersection i was crossing (it is a side street). However there was a red light down the road which is why all the other cars were stopped . the third lane that i was crossing was a turning lane, so originally he was in the second lane (which i had already safely crossed) and i can only assume he decided to turn off instead and gunned out from the middle lane and not paying attention that i was already in the intersection. does that make sense?

It makes sense, but it makes no difference. Regardless of what lane and provided he wasn't speeding, he still had the right of way. It's not incumbent on him to give way to those who are making left turns inappropriately. Even if you could argue that he contributed some fault to the accident, it would mean NOTHING to your traffic charge.

And PLEASE DO NOT DELETE the question this forum inserts about what state you are in.

okay thank you guys for your opinions, i have also checked the law in missouri which states that there are exceptions to this rule in which i think this falls under the "exception" . the main thing is to prove to the judge that i did in fact "begin" my turn when it was safe... so i guess the judge will have to decide.

You're going to have a hard time with that. The fact that you collided with a car who had the right of way is sort of prima facie evidence you failed to yield to opposite direction traffic close enough "to constitute an immediate hazard."

flyingron, i keep getting a lot of different advice and yours seems to be one of the most realistic/ logical. so in your opinion do you think i should just pay the fine and move on? or do you know if there is anyway i can plead no contest which i was told that this means im not admitting guilt but i will take the consequences. or does this option apply in municple court?

1. Sponsored Links