Default Child Not Attending School - Can I Stop Paying Support

My question involves child support in the State of: Georgia
    My husband pays child support on his 16 yr old son. The child has been in some trouble with the school for various offensives such as skipping, defiance, sleeping in class and other things. He should be a junior this year but only has 6 credits 2 of which are electives. He has been place in alternative school, but is not attending. He has only gone to school 3 days since August 9th. He is making absolutely no progress towards graduating and is truant. His mother is now planning to withdraw him from school and put him in GED classes. In our opinion, he will not go to that either. We have had him attend school in SC twice, but he always went back because he wasn't allowed to do as he please and made to go to school when he was with us. Does my husband have grounds for discontinuing child support? If he is enrolled in the GED class does that count as being in school?

Default Re: Child Not Attending School

Quote Quoting zolamola
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Georgia
    My husband pays child support on his 16 yr old son. The child has been in some trouble with the school for various offensives such as skipping, defiance, sleeping in class and other things. He should be a junior this year but only has 6 credits 2 of which are electives. He has been place in alternative school, but is not attending. He has only gone to school 3 days since August 9th. He is making absolutely no progress towards graduating and is truant. His mother is now planning to withdraw him from school and put him in GED classes. In our opinion, he will not go to that either. We have had him attend school in SC twice, but he always went back because he wasn't allowed to do as he please and made to go to school when he was with us. Does my husband have grounds for discontinuing child support? If he is enrolled in the GED class does that count as being in school?
    Your husband has to continue to pay child support for as long as his child is a minor, at least. So whether or not he is in school is immaterial until the child turns at least 18. Child support can go to age 20 in GA if a child is still in high school.

It is in his papers that the minor child must be enrolled in school and if he drops out, support would cease. My question is, does GED classes count as school?

Quote Quoting zolamola
    View Post
    It is in his papers that the minor child must be enrolled in school and if he drops out, support would cease. My question is, does GED classes count as school?
    I don't think that clause would be enforceable...or you are maybe misinterpreting it. His son is still a minor. Parents are responsible by law to support their minor children.

1. Sponsored Links