Default How to Request a Speeding Ticket Deferral by Mail

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington in Snohomish county. I followed the forum's direction and contested my ticket, only to receive my notice to appear and a form allowing me to include my written statement/contesting. I have been unable to reach ANYONE at the district court that can tell me if I need a special deferral form to fill out or if I need to ask for a deferral on the form that I have already received after contesting the ticket.

Can anyone tell me whats my best bet now, since my court date is next Thursday, Sept. 27? Do I use my "objection the the hearing date" to delay which is on the website?

I did reach the county clerk's assistant in the Superior court, who told me that she believed that since I live out of state that I can defer but was going to try to find me someone in district court that could help since she agreed that their website was not user friendly. Have not heard anything back from her.

Any thoughts on my next move?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

BTW, I did go through many threads (thanks Barry) but did not find an answer to this county's deferral procedure for out of state drivers.

Default Re: How to Request a Speeding Ticket Deferral by Mail

Either keep working on talking to the clerk, or see what information is on the county's website (e.g., King County, Douglas County) or from other sources (e.g., a local lawyer).

Ok, was able to get a call back from county clerk the day after I posted this thread, who told me to fill out a deferral request on on the written statement form that came with the contested ticket mailing and mail it back, which I did. Today, I received a letter telling me that my deferral was "not available" and I was charged with commiting the violation, with a fee reduction from $145 to $85.

Question now becomes, do I just accept the conviction and pay the 85 bucks or do I check to see why the deferrment is not available, when the county clerk told me it was. There is a good chance that I will be up in Lynnwood later this month and can walk in the discuss at the south division.

Any thoughts about what to do?

Lynnwood is very upfront about giving deferrals. In fact Snohomish county finds the violation not committed, if you pay for the deferral, and that's that... because they are too broke to monitor your driving record like King county does.

However, all the rules go out the window when contesting by mail. I am not sure if it is even offered at all on a contested trial by mail. If you've been found guilty, pay the fine and move on. There is no appeal when contesting by mail in Washington.

Thought I'd give a final update since I was working in Lynnwood last week and stopped in to the Sno Co district court South Division office on Friday. I spoke to Renee and explained that when I requested the deferral by mail, it was returned with a note saying it was not available. She checked with the judge and found out that ALL out of state drivers cannot request a deferral since the court has no way of knowing if you either have existing tickets in the state you reside in, and they would not know if you received a future ticket in that state. So, the short answer is a deferral by the judge will not be offered to anyone that does not have a Washington state license, either in person at court or in the mail.

So, in short, looks like I was told mis information, I'll just pay the reduced fine and move on.

Quote Quoting happyjack22
    View Post
    So, the short answer is a deferral by the judge will not be offered to anyone that does not have a Washington state license, either in person at court or in the mail.

So, in short, looks like I was told mis information, I'll just pay the reduced fine and move on.
    I don't think this situation has presented itself to date on this website. You're the first that I remember trying to defer by mail from another state. Sorry you can't take the deferral. The upshot is that we all know this detail now. I would venture to say that due to the others not responding to this thread that nobody knew this was the case.

1. Sponsored Links