Default MIP in Arizona

Last night I went over to my friends house to drink. After a couple of hours I called another friend and walked over to his dorm. An RA saw me and did not recognize me so she called the cops. The cops immediately came up to me and asked me if i had been drinking. I said yes, and they proceeded to give me a breathalyzer, and a citation for underage drinking. However, the citation has a lot of errors, my address has the wrong zip code, my SSN is the wrong number, my phone number is wrong, and is very sloppy so I have difficulty reading it. Afterwards my sober friend picked me up and took me back to my other friends house. He did not see the cops follow us back, and he made sure to use a roundabout way of getting back to make sure of this. He claims the cops followed us with their lights off. When we got back the cops rang the doorbell, and searched the house for alcohol the friend who lives their got an MIP. This seems like the police did not have probable cause to enter his house. What can I expect for a fine of this nature I live in AZ, and this is a first time offense. Could the case be dropped because of the errors in my citation?

Default Re: MIC in Arizona

Quote Quoting sundevil1987
    View Post
    Last night I went over to my friends house to drink. After a couple of hours I called another friend and walked over to his dorm. An RA saw me and did not recognize me so she called the cops. The cops immediately came up to me and asked me if i had been drinking. I said yes, and they proceeded to give me a breathalyzer, and a citation for underage drinking. However, the citation has a lot of errors, my address has the wrong zip code, my SSN is the wrong number, my phone number is wrong, and is very sloppy so I have difficulty reading it. Afterwards my sober friend picked me up and took me back to my other friends house. He did not see the cops follow us back, and he made sure to use a roundabout way of getting back to make sure of this. He claims the cops followed us with their lights off. When we got back the cops rang the doorbell, and searched the house for alcohol the friend who lives their got an MIP. This seems like the police did not have probable cause to enter his house. What can I expect for a fine of this nature I live in AZ, and this is a first time offense. Could the case be dropped because of the errors in my citation?
    This is a Class 3 misdemeanor, a person found guilty of being a "minor in possession" can be sentenced to up to 30 days in jail and/or up to $500 in fines. However, the judge can either place you on probation or sentence some jail time. (IMO, it is most likely going to be probation, since you have a clean record.)

Most errors are not fatal to the pursuit of justice and the prosecution will continue with the case anyway. Hire an attorney, he/she may try to defend on the grounds of minor errors, but usually, if the rest of the citation is proper, the errors will not provide a defense.

If i get placed on probation, what can i expect the fine to be, and what about the fact that the cops followed us back with their lights off.

View Post
    If i get placed on probation, what can i expect the fine to be, and what about the fact that the cops followed us back with their lights off.
    For a first offense, the fine is approximately a $125 (but notice it can be up to $500). The prosecutor can use his/her discretion and may offer a diversion program (this varies from county to county).

I have no comment on what the police MAY have done.

View Post
    ...and what about the fact that the cops followed us back with their lights off.
    What about it?

couldn't that be considered entrapment, or baiting?

How will this affect my record, am i considered a criminal for something that seems so minor.

View Post
    No, how did the police induce you into breaking the law?

Yes, this will show up on your record.

Default Re: MIP in Arizona

View Post
    No.
    View Post
    How will this affect my record, am i considered a criminal for something that seems so minor.
    You may be able to avoid a criminal record if you are given a deferred sentence or diversion program, something you may wish to discuss with a local criminal defense lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links