Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can an Employer Confiscate Your Personal Property

I work for local government in the state of North Carolina. Ok so I was hooking a wireless router up to the city's Internet, they didnt like it so they took the router, when I asked for it back they said they couldn't give it to me. I admit I was probably in the wrong for doing this, but I asked my supervisor before i hooked up the router and he said it was fine. I'm not sure if the topic is correct for this issue but i don't completely trust my supervisor and the superintedants judgment on this.

Default Re: Can an Employer Confiscate Your Personal Property

when I asked for it back they said they couldn't give it to me
    why couldn't they give it to you?

What is their policy on tampering with state property? It is possible they are exploring whether you tampered with their system security.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

My superintedant didn't give me a reason but I didn't ask, her exact word were " that stays put". I guess there doing some kind of investigation? Idk.

So you brought your own personal wireless router in to hook up to municipal internet service? To what end? Are you, or probably soon to be were you, an authorized IT employee carrying out a required system upgrade? If so, why weren't you using city equipment?

They may be investigating the router to determine if there is anything nefarious on it.

No I'm not An IT employee. During my 12 hr third shift I have about 10hrs of down time so the management allows us certain perks if u will, to keep us from going crazy from boredom. I'm an honest guy, I do my job well I was just looking for an Internet connection with no bad intentions.keep in mind my supervisor gave me permission to do this. "To what end?" I'm not sure what u mean.

If your supervisor is not the IT director/supervisor for your city, he has no authority to grant access to IT resources that requires making changes to the network like adding a wireless router. That is a major breach of security. Your supervisor would be free to contact the IT department and see about getting your terminals limited internet access.

Read a book, take up knitting, bring a laptop to play on.

"To what end" I meant what was the purpose of connecting a personal wireless router to the city internet? By the way, if you don't know what you are doing when doing that, it can cause serious up-time problems for the city's network.

Oh, and with 10 hours of down time on a 12hr shift...are you guys hiring?

You need to ask why they will not return it to you. After you get an answer, come on back.

When I was connected to the Internet I mostly listens to music on you tube, check the weather or keep up w my sports teams and work on my businesses web site, just innocent things, like I said I had no bad intentions. I really don't know anything about the Internet or the problems that I could possibly have caused. If it weren't for previous problems with the way my management has handled things in the past with other situations and employees, I wouldn't question them. So you think (free9man) that they are basically looking at my internet history (which is fine with me, I have nothing to hide) and they do intend to return my router?

Ask them. They are likely trying to determine if you planted a virus or fraudulently downloaded something into their system to mine data.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast