Default Becoming a Police Officer with a Misdemeanor Record

My question involves criminal records for the state of: California

When I was 19 years old I was arrested for a felony evading, but charged with a misdemeanor evading given it was my first offense ever other than fix it tickets. I am now 21 going on 22 and have one more school year left to obtain my degree in criminal justice I was planning on attending the police academy after graduation. I will be 23 almost 24 when I finish the academy. I plan on getting my record expunged just to show I took the effort to remove it from my record even though the departments I apply at can still view it on my background.

My question is: Do I have a chance at obtaining a position as a police officer? or did I blow my chances by being young and dumb way back when?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Becoming a Police Officer with a Misdemeanor Record

2 years ago is not "back when." Given that it will be almost 5 years after, you might stand a better chance. There are a few Cali LE folks on the board that can give you a better answer. You could also contact the certifying agency in CA to find out if you're actions are a bar to certification. Generally, law enforcement agencies can see your history as can the certifying agency.

So I suppose my main question/concern is will the fact that I was arrested but not charged with a felony automatically DQ me?

Quote Quoting FrancoC
    View Post
    My question involves criminal records for the state of: California

When I was 19 years old I was arrested for a felony evading, but charged with a misdemeanor evading given it was my first offense ever other than fix it tickets. I am now 21 going on 22 and have one more school year left to obtain my degree in criminal justice I was planning on attending the police academy after graduation. I will be 23 almost 24 when I finish the academy. I plan on getting my record expunged just to show I took the effort to remove it from my record even though the departments I apply at can still view it on my background.

My question is: Do I have a chance at obtaining a position as a police officer? or did I blow my chances by being young and dumb way back when?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.
    Yes, you have a chance. A misdemeanor is NOT a statutory disqualification in CA. However, felony evasion (even charged as a misdemeanor) WILL raise red flags on any background. This can be tempered with steady work history, no further police contacts, and a solid academic history in the interim. Expect any background investigator to grill you on it, and also for them to focus on your maturity.

Understand that right now police jobs are highly competitive because of serious budget constraints. Perhaps things will be better in a couple of years, but the prognosis seems to be that jobs won't open up a great deal until the next round of mass retirements occur over the next 6 years (a wave of baby-boomer officers such as myself are at or near retirement age and there is an expectation for lots of retirements as we close in on 2019).

Build and maintain a solid work history, and keep the grades up. Moderate (or STOP) drinking, and any partying (if you do any of those now) and you could see this fade behind you quickly.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Ok cool that's solid info. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
    I'm glad to know I have a chance it would have killed me to know that 1 minute of stupidity would have screwed me over for good.

Thanks again for your time, it's greatly appreciated.

1. Sponsored Links