Exclamation When Can a Teenager Drop Out of School

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Pennsylvania

PA's §*11.13.*Compulsory school age whereas "Compulsory school age refers to the period of a child’s life from the time the child enters school as a beginner which may be no later than at the age of 8 years, until the age of 17 or graduation from a high school, whichever occurs first."
    Meaning that as a 17 year old you are afforded the right to leave school if you choose to.

Or...
    PA's Juvenile Act where under the definition of a delinquent act of a dependent child where, the child "has committed specific act or acts of habitual disobedience of the reasonable and lawful commands of his parent...and who is found to be ungovernable and in need of care treatment or supervision"

In short, if a 17 year old does not wish to go to school can his parents legally force him to or have the ability to have him put in some sort if care, treatment, or supervision?
    Thank you

Default Re: Which Law Would Supersede?

Neither supersedes the other. They are each laws dealing with different situations. In the first, the state cannot mandate a child attend school once they reach 17. In the other, it is dealing with the parent child relationship.

In short, if a 17 year old does not wish to go to school can his parents legally force him to or have the ability to have him put in some sort if care, treatment, or supervision?
    In short, it is not the choice of the 17 yo to decide to not attend school regardless of the fact the state will not compel a child 17 or over to attend school. If you refuse to obey the rules your parents impose upon you, they can seek the assistance of the courts. If that results in being put in some sort of care or treatment, then it is what it is. If it results in the child being placed on some sort of probation type program, then it is what it is.

Yes. They can.

Just the same way they could in your other thread.

Why would you want to drop out of school? I was bullied and yeah, it was horrible. But I toughed it out.

What you don't realize is this: We are in the middle of a recession. Nowadays, without a high school diploma or GED, you're going to have a hard time finding any decent job. And think about it this way....job=money to save towards moving out of your parents place....

1. Sponsored Links