Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default My Kids Live with Me Now - Do I Still Pay Child Support

    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Tx.

    My kids (18 and 14) have moved out here to California with me from Texas. My Ex voluntarily let them stay here for school this year (and probably forever now). She stated that I still needed to pay her child support for 6 months.... ummm I don't think so. My first question is what do I need to do with the Texas court system to ensure my custody is legally recognized and second do I need to continue child support?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: My Kids Live with Me Now - Do I Still Pay Child Support

    If you don't want to pay child support, you need to bring a motion to modify support. Unless and until you file such a motion, your support obligation continues under the existing order - you can expect that the judge will not modify support effective prior to the date you file your motion.

    If California has jurisdiction, both your motion to modify support and motion to modify custody would be filed in the California court. If you want to try to get jurisdiction modified to Texas for a motion to change custody, once the children have been in the state for six months or longer, I suggest consulting a Texas family lawyer about forming a strategy and ultimately filing a UCCJEA petition.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Collection and Enforcement: CPS Took Kids, Now I'm Disabled and Have to Pay Child Support
    By Unhappy Parent in forum Child Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 11:33 AM
  2. I Found Out I Am Not Able to Have Kids but I Pay Child Support
    By Keltec9mm in forum Child Custody and Visitation
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 11:49 AM
  3. Child Support (Not His Kids)
    By mnk in forum Child Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 12:02 PM
  4. Child Support For 3 Kids
    By jojogia in forum Child Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 08:13 PM
  5. Paying Child Support Even Though I Have The Kids
    By MEATHEAD in forum Child Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Forum Sponsor
Custody Lawyer
Get help for your custody case. Consult a divorce lawyer for free.

Untitled Document