Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to Get Married Without Parent Consent

My question involves marriage law for the State of: Ohio

Me and my girlfriend have been together for a while, and me and her both agree we've never had something this special before. We are really in love, and she used to live with me, but she lived with her mom at the time and her mom was a very very bad druggie so my girlfriend just stayed at my house for months. Well, her grandma found out (she has custody) and came and got her with the police and said that she's never aloud in my house again. She also put her in the hospital, she was very very upset and her grandma put her in the psych ward, wouldn't let me see her. My girlfriend had to lie every time she hung out with me, and after a while her grandma was starting to catch on. Her grandma constantly puts her down and calls her all kinds of hurtful insults towards her. My girlfriend cries until she throwsup from it. So, she ran away, and well of course that didn't last too long and her grandma put her in the psych ward again. Now her grandma is okay with us hanging out every once in a while, but shes not aloud at my house. I just want to cuddle and watch movies. I don't know why her grandma doesn't like me (jealousy?) but I've tried to be nice to her and polite, nothing works. She can't stand her house and if we get married she would be emancipated, my parents would be fine with the marriage but her grandma would not be at all. We've already planned to get married in the future we are very in love.

IF YOU DONT WANT LONG STORY READ THIS
    How can I get married to a 16 year old without her parent's consent, when I'm 17 and my parents are ok with it. We will go as far as pregnancy, to get her away from that grandma she is so nasty. What would it require and how could I for sure get it to work? Also, if emancipation for her would be easier, what exactly would she require to get emancipated? Would 'sickness' be a problem? (she has no diagnosis but she gets seroquel which is for bi-polar and schizophrenia)

She does have panic attacks/episodes occasionally but if we were together I can surely help her with it and keep her safe. When she's in that state of mind she gets freaked out by the hospital, and she says she would way rather me just be there for her.
    Sorry if TMI but I really need advice and I want you to see that its not just dumb teenage decisions she needs to get away from her grandma somehow and we are crazy about each other we want to spend all time with each other.

Default Re: How to Get Married Without Parent Consent

You cannot marry her without parent/guardian permission. I would never allow my daughter to be with someone that is so self centered they encourage her to break house rules and cause the person they supposedly love many more problems.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

How can I get married to a 16 year old without her parent's consent

You can't. It really is that simple. As long as she is even one minute under 18, she needs her parents' or legal guardian's permission (and in some parts of Ohio, permission of a judge) to be married, NO MATTER WHAT. It does not matter if she is pregnant or not, and no, "sickness" would make it harder, not easier. Ohio will not emancipate a minor for any reason whatsoever unless they are legally married (WITH parental consent) or a member of the active armed forces. There is simply no provision for a minor to be married in Ohio without permission.

And no, you can't run off to another state and get married there in defiance of your own state's laws. The days when a couple of teenagers could cross state lines and get married without permission are long gone. There is no state - repeat, NO state - where a minor under the age of 18 can be married without parental/legal guardian permission, permission of the court, or both.

No, a judge is not going to give her permission to marry without permission for the reasons you describe. Not even if.

Quote Quoting Kenny Morris
    View Post
    Would 'sickness' be a problem? (she has no diagnosis but she gets seroquel which is for bi-polar and schizophrenia)

She does have panic attacks/episodes occasionally but if we were together I can surely help her with it and keep her safe. When she's in that state of mind she gets freaked out by the hospital, and she says she would way rather me just be there for her.
    A doctor is not going to simply give out a controlled substance without some kind of diagnosis. If she's schizophrenic or bi-polar, have you ever been with her during a serious episode? That's not something a 17yr old can hold her hand through. What if she goes off her meds? She could be very dangerous to herself or others. Not everyone, not every time. But it could happen. I've known folks it happened to. That is something that requires adult, sometimes professional (i.e. hospitalization), care to successfully navigate.

So no, marriage ain't gonna happen nor emancipation.

View Post

Me and my girlfriend have been together for a while, and me and her both agree we've never had something this special before. We are really in love, and she used to live with me, but she lived with her mom at the time and her mom was a very very bad druggie so my girlfriend just stayed at my house for months. Well, her grandma found out (she has custody) and came and got her with the police and said that she's never aloud in my house again. She also put her in the hospital, she was very very upset and her grandma put her in the psych ward, wouldn't let me see her. My girlfriend had to lie every time she hung out with me, and after a while her grandma was starting to catch on. Her grandma constantly puts her down and calls her all kinds of hurtful insults towards her. My girlfriend cries until she throwsup from it. So, she ran away, and well of course that didn't last too long and her grandma put her in the psych ward again. Now her grandma is okay with us hanging out every once in a while, but shes not aloud at my house. I just want to cuddle and watch movies. I don't know why her grandma doesn't like me (jealousy?) but I've tried to be nice to her and polite, nothing works. She can't stand her house and if we get married she would be emancipated, my parents would be fine with the marriage but her grandma would not be at all. We've already planned to get married in the future we are very in love.

How can I get married to a 16 year old without her parent's consent, when I'm 17 and my parents are ok with it. We will go as far as pregnancy, to get her away from that grandma she is so nasty. What would it require and how could I for sure get it to work? Also, if emancipation for her would be easier, what exactly would she require to get emancipated? Would 'sickness' be a problem? (she has no diagnosis but she gets seroquel which is for bi-polar and schizophrenia)

Sorry if TMI but I really need advice and I want you to see that its not just dumb teenage decisions she needs to get away from her grandma somehow and we are crazy about each other we want to spend all time with each other.

You two are nowhere near mature enough to be on your own. Yes, it is dumb teenage decisions - you'll go as far as getting pregnant just to leave?

Really? That's one of the most immature things I've read here in awhile.

You need a reality check. You're not getting married, she's not getting emancipated, and let's face it - the chances of you two being together in 2 years is slim to none.

Pregnancy indeed. Shaking my head.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Boy is he gonna be mad when he's paying child support and she's living with the next young Mr. Wonderful.

me and her both agree we've never had something this special before
    You've both had hormones less years than the number of fingers on one hand. It ain't that special, it's just all new to you. Given your age, you haven't been through enough "somethings" to KNOW what's special or not. Everyone's first ice cream is wonderful, but that doesn't mean after trying two flavors that you can or should plan to bypass all the other ice cream choices out there forever and potentially cause major problems in your lives longer term (cause you plan on getting married and staying together forever, right?)
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

How can I get married to a 16 year old without her parent's consent, when I'm 17 and my parents are ok with it.
    You can't. Period, end of story. The law in the state of Ohio is very clear on this issue, and the answer is an absolute NO.

We will go as far as pregnancy, to get her away from that grandma she is so nasty.
    Don't be stupid. Have you any clue at all how difficult pregnancy is? And how costly? Do you even remotely give a damn about being able to support the child and provide for its daily needs, to the detriment of your own health and social life? Kid, I've been a Mom for 20 years, and didn't get a social life again til the kids were in school.

You claim your GF is mentally ill, but you think pregnancy and parenthood would be a good idea, with no support network? Because the stress of parenting with no support network is such a great thing to burden a mentally ill teenager with? Did you eat a bowl of Moron Flakes with IQ Deficient Milk for breakfast, or do you always fail to think things through to their logical conclusion?

Also, if emancipation for her would be easier, what exactly would she require to get emancipated? Would 'sickness' be a problem?
    There is no emancipation in Ohio. The law, once more, says NO. And even if the law didn't say No, her mental illness and lack of means to support herself would disqualify her.

(she has no diagnosis but she gets seroquel which is for bi-polar and schizophrenia)
    How is she obtaining Seroquel without a formal diagnosis and a proper prescription?

She's an idiot, too. Mentally ill people need to be taken care of PROPERLY - and that means correct medication, counseling, and sometimes hospitalization. No, you cannot "keep her safe". You are a 17 year old boy, not a trained medical professional.

Grandma is not "nasty" for putting the girl in treatment. You should go thank her for caring enough to try to get the poor girl sorted out.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

View Post

Without parental consent, the two of you cannot legally marry - period. Even if you could get married without parental consent, it would be a bad idea. Parents and guardians aren't the bad people you think they are at 16 and 17 years old; that mentality in and of itself just shows how immature the two of you are, which just adds to the list of reasons why the two of you don't need to get married right now. If your parents (or hers) won't consent to the marriage, there's a legitimate reason for it, and I can assure you it is not jealousy. While you might not be able to believe it right now, your parents/guardians love you, they want you to be happy, and they want what's best for you. If you can't get all the parents/guardians on board, it's a no-go - for a reason. Obviously your girlfriend is sick and in need of medical treatment and prescription medication. While a guardian with a stable job and healthcare can provide this for her, you cannot. At 17 years old, you haven't even graduated high school yet, let alone had the opportunity to find a full-time job with healthcare benefits. As for getting her pregnant, that's the worst way to prove your (alleged) maturity. Of all the reasons to bring a child into this world, doing it to "prove you're a grown-up" is the most immature and the most unfair to the child. Neither of you are prepared to make the sacrifices necessary to raise a child at 16 and 17 years old. If you really love this girl and you really want to spend the rest of your life with her, you can wait two more years until she's 18 years old and the two of you are legally capable of making this decision on your own.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    do you always fail to think things through to their logical conclusion?
    The problem is what he's thinking WITH - which clouds everything else.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    The problem is what he's thinking WITH - which clouds everything else.
    So much for the old saying about 2 heads being better than 1. Definite design flaw for us guys.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast