Default Replaced the Windshield, Lost the Registration Sticker

Hi, I have a car registered in NY. The registration is valid. The NY laws require having 2 stickers on the windshield: Registration and Inspection. I replaced my windshield while I was in CA and the company that did it forgot to put both stickers to the new windshield. They trashed them with my old windshield.

I am moving to CA and my stuff including the car title and second piece of the NY car registration document (I do not have to have it in the car as per NY laws) will arrive in a coupe of weeks only. I am then planning to get my CA driver license and register a car there but at the moment I am technically not a resident in CA.

1. Can I drive a car like this, without proof of registration? How bad will it be if the police stop me?

2. Can I show anything else to the police if they stop me? Like online receipt from the NY DMV that I ordered a replacement registration.

3. Can I claim a loaner car or a refund from the windshiels replacement company for the period I cannot drive mine, if I cannot? I called them and they said it was my fault, because they do not have registration stickers in CA so their technician did not notice the stickers and I did not mention about them. They promised that some higher manager would call me but it is going to take a while and I am very sceptical that he will be willing to help.

Default Re: Replaced the Windshield, Lost the Registration Sticker

Don't lie. Go to the DMV and get a copy of your registration. Otherwise, you may expect to have to go to court. Don't tell the cop anything roadside-you would be admitting guilt .. you should have your reg. by the time a court date is required.

If stopped, cooperate but don't try to tell your story , don't answer any questions other than your name.

Quote Quoting Sabut
    View Post
    at the moment I am technically not a resident in CA.
    What are you doing in California? And at what point in time (I'm asking about the actual event) do you think you will become a resident of California? (as in "when I do XthisX, OR, when YthisY happens, I will then be considered a California resident and will have to get my CA license and my CA registration")...

Quote Quoting Sabut
    View Post
    1. Can I drive a car like this, without proof of registration? How bad will it be if the police stop me?
    You can get cited. Typically a correctable citation which means if you later fix the issue (in this case, obtain a replacement sticker) and provide proof of such to the court in a timely manner, you can get a dismissal of the citation after paying a $25 administrative fee to the court.

Of course if you slack on registering your car in CA, then he also has the option to write it as non-correctable and if he can show "persistent neglect" on your behalf, the judge may uphold it that way and yoyu would have to pay the full fine which equals approximately $280.

Quote Quoting Sabut
    View Post
    2. Can I show anything else to the police if they stop me? Like online receipt from the NY DMV that I ordered a replacement registration.
    A CA police officer is not going to know what NY states registration procedures or proofs are, but if he pulled you over, and wanted to cite you, there are always ways he could find out (like call the desk at his station, get some info from dispatch.... etc). At that point, if he went through that trouble, one can assume that you'll have to be in FULL compliance with NY law, or else... And an online receipt isn't likely to work. Alternatively, he could just assume that you have to have some sort of proof of registration (we have registration cards AND license plate tabs) and he could cite you and leave it to you to got through the hassle of correcting the citation and the hassle os explaining it all to the court... Of course we can assume he would be a nice guy and over look it all... But why would he?

Quote Quoting Sabut
    View Post
    3. Can I claim a loaner car or a refund from the windshiels replacement company for the period I cannot drive mine, if I cannot? I called them and they said it was my fault, because they do not have registration stickers in CA so their technician did not notice the stickers and I did not mention about them. They promised that some higher manager would call me but it is going to take a while and I am very sceptical that he will be willing to help.
    Do you seriously expect them to loan you a car for the period you cannot drive yours? How long do you anticipate that is going to be? And while I have no idea when your windshield was replaced, but for the sake of figuring out an answer, lets assume it was replaced last Thursday, and you found out about it on Thursday as well... You could have done something about getting a replacement on Friday, or at least made an inquiry, or completed a form or... etc... but It doesn't sound like you have done anything...

I do also agree with them, to a certain degree... You instructed them to replace your windshield, correct... They replaced your windshield!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    What are you doing in California? And at what point in time (I'm asking about the actual event) do you think you will become a resident of California? (as in "when I do XthisX, OR, when YthisY happens, I will then be considered a California resident and will have to get my CA license and my CA registration")...
    Looking closely at the Californian DMV website, it sounds more likely that I will actually be considered the resident from the car registration perspective:
    Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

•Accept gainful employment in California.
    •Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
    •Rent or lease a residence in California.
    Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
    •Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

Since I did intend to live there when I entered, I should be considered a resident effective from 7/18, which still gives me time until 8/8 to register the car.

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    You can get cited. blah-blah
    Got it, thanks. Kinda what I expected

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    Do you seriously expect them to loan you a car for the period you cannot drive yours? How long do you anticipate that is going to be? And while I have no idea when your windshield was replaced, but for the sake of figuring out an answer, lets assume it was replaced last Thursday, and you found out about it on Thursday as well... You could have done something about getting a replacement on Friday, or at least made an inquiry, or completed a form or... etc... but It doesn't sound like you have done anything...
    They replaced my windshield on Tuesday, I noticed no stickers on Wednesday and called them in case they could still get the stickers from the old window. Also called them on Thursday but they promised they would have the actual replacement technician call me back. He called me back on Friday and said he had no idea about the sticker. The same day I completed the online application to replace my registration sticker on the NY DMV website.

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    I do also agree with them, to a certain degree... You instructed them to replace your windshield, correct... They replaced your windshield!
    The thing is - I researched their website a bit more and there is what I found in their FAQ:
    Will you replace the stickers on my windshield?
    Yes, if possible. We will remove inspection stickers and other items affixed to your windshield and, if permitted by law, re-apply to the new windshield.

Some states do not allow the inspection sticker to be re-applied to the new windshield and require that you purchase a new sticker within 3-5 days after a windshield replacement. Check with your state licensing agency for additional information on required inspections and stickers.

I honestly did not know that but this looks like a completely false statement. Please advise.

Some states do not allow the inspection sticker to be re-applied to the new windshield and require that you purchase a new sticker within 3-5 days after a windshield replacement. Check with your state licensing agency for additional information on required inspections and stickers.

I honestly did not know that but this looks like a completely false statement. Please advise.
    did YOU check with NY DMV to be sure the stickers could legally be transferred? Did you tell the glass shop to transfer the stickers? Did you inform the glass shop that you needed the stickers transferred?

Think about this; you were in California. They are not going to know the laws of NY. It is your obligation to tell them what you need done about the stickers. If you didn't, this is all on you.

Quote Quoting Sabut
    View Post
    What good would it do you knowing if you have to obtain CA registration within the next week or so, at which point your NY sticker will cease to be in effect?

And by the way, if you're a resident per the criteria for registration, its obvious you're considered a resident for the purposes of obtaining a CA license. So you might as well do both on the same visit!

1. Sponsored Links