Exclamation Driving on Suspended, Second Offense

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Nebraska

So I will copy and paste my wall of text from another forum I posted on and am not sure I'll get a response from. It is long, so please bare with me and try to take it all in.

Hello, here is how it goes. I had some unpaid traffic violations that I wasn't exactly aware of and for that I had my license suspended. I continued to drive on a suspended unknowingly. I was driving my mom's car to run an errand for her (pick up her check from her boss's house). On my way I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, and was pulled over. I didn't have proof of insurance (though the car WAS/IS insured) and the plates were expired but only by a few days ( extreme oversight on my mom's part) she knew when they expired but forgot to renew them due to a lot of hectic problems going on. The cop went to run my license and came back with the shocking news that it was suspended and I was under arrest.

I was bailed out of holding shortly after. I got my license re-instated and got a duplicate. I also have proof that the car was insured at the time of the traffic stop. Also a now current copy of the registration.

My letter from the police dept. says that my court date is for Driving on suspended, so does that mean everything else was dropped? The officer also told my mother on the phone that I was extremely polite and compliant, but that I could be in trouble if I continue making stupid decisions, or something along those lines.

My first DOS went as follows. Approximately a 1 1/2 - 2 years before the second, I had been suspended for unpaid fines, which I had no idea of again. Was speeding like 5-7 over, got pulled over, cited, parked the car, and walked home. I went to court, got fined (can't remember exact amount).

I have a prior of poss. of marijuana (misdemeanor), and a couple traffic violations (not including the 2 DOS).

So basically I'm asking, what do you think I'm looking at for a penalty? As well as " My letter from the police dept. says that my court date is for Driving on suspended, so does that mean everything else was dropped? "

Please help me with any insight or similar accounts, I'm just extremely worried that I could get jail time or a revoked license, and my mom is in poor health, and I do a good amount of the physical work around here, as well as running all the errands (driving places like the store, pick up, and cash/deposit checks). A huge concern is if I did get jail time that my mom could take a turn for the worse while I was away, and I would feel completely to blame. As well as not be here for her in her time of need. I just feel like a huge idiot for not realizing my problems sooner, and taking care of them. I understand all the worrying in the world isn't going to change the outcome, but I can't help it.
    I'm a 20 y/o male. If that helps make any predictions. I pray everything will work out, and I'll just get a fine. But I'm not sure I'll be so lucky.

Thanks for your time, I understand it's long and possibly drawn out, but I felt I needed to include most of it.

Default Re: Second Driving on Suspended Lincoln Nebraska, Need Opinions

For your most recent incident, what citations did you receive? If you were only cited/arrested for the DWS, then that is all you have to worry about.

The unpaid fine thing is crap. You knew about them since you had to have been issued the citations and didn't take care of them. If you failed to go to court, if required, you're lucky there wasn't an FTA warrant. Why didn't you take care of these after the 1st DWS or was your license further suspended due to the charge of DWS?

Quote Quoting help-please1234
    View Post
    I had some unpaid traffic violations that I wasn't exactly aware of and for that I had my license suspended. I continued to drive on a suspended unknowingly...

My first DOS went as follows. Approximately a 1 1/2 - 2 years before the second, I had been suspended for unpaid fines, which I had no idea of again.
    So, what you are telling us is, 2 years ago you got pulled over and cited multiple times (based on your use of the plural), but had no idea you never paid the fines??? Your license got suspended but you never knew about it (perhaps because you never advised the department of licensing of a change of address, as is required by law???) You were then cited and released for driving on a suspended. You obviously were given a BIG break that time as your car was not towed, you got only a fine with no jail time or probation, and didn't even have to post bail.

And, now, 2 years later, you again got multiple traffic citations (again, from your use of the plural), but again had no idea you never paid the fines??? Your license was suspended again, but, again, you knew nothing about that??? Come on! I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night!

So, now you want to know if you can expect to skate with as sweet a deal as you got last time, right? Well...probably not. Your license is already suspended (not that you seem to give a little thing like that much regard), and you can expect it is going to stay suspended for a while yet. Your fine this time is likely to be a bit more memorable than the last time. Jail is a real possibility, but a suspended jail sentence with about a year of probation (including conditions like some classes, fees, no further violations, regular meetings with a PO, etc.) is probably more likely.

Unfortunately, I fully expect to see you posting again, in about 6 months or so, in the probation & parole forum. I expect your post will go something along the lines of "I got probation for driving on a suspended license. I've paid all my fees on time, made all of my meetings, have been going to the required classes, and been an all-around model citizen. But, last week I got arrested for driving on a suspended again. (Fill in weak excuse about how you HAD to drive because...whatever) Now, my PO has scheduled me for a violation hearing. Am I likely to go to jail this time? (Fill in whiny reasons you CAN'T go to jail)"

Karnac the Magnificent moment over.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    For your most recent incident, what citations did you receive? If you were only cited/arrested for the DWS, then that is all you have to worry about.

The unpaid fine thing is crap. You knew about them since you had to have been issued the citations and didn't take care of them. If you failed to go to court, if required, you're lucky there wasn't an FTA warrant. Why didn't you take care of these after the 1st DWS or was your license further suspended due to the charge of DWS?
    The boxes that were checked are No seat belt, Suspended License, No valid registration/plates, Violate stop sign, No insurance. Although there are no fines listed at the bottom, the appear in court box is checked instead. But the letter I received in the mail says my court hearing is only for driving on a suspended, so does that mean the others were dropped?

Also I have proof of insurance that I can take to court with me, as well as a now valid registration, and I've gotten my license re-instated and got a duplicate, even though they could take it on my court date (last copy was confiscated upon arrest because it was suspended).

In response to the "fta warrant" I have NEVER failed to appear in court, and as long as I'm aware of the court date and am physically capable of transporting myself I NEVER will have a fta. I don't aim to break the law and do take it seriously. It wasn't further suspended I had it reinstated a few days after my DWS ticket was issued, and it wasn't resuspended on my court date. I was only issued a fine.

Thank you very much for your time and response.

- - - Updated - - -

I do thank you for the time you spent answering, though some hostility may be reflected in my response.

Quote Quoting PTPD22
    View Post
    So, what you are telling us is, 2 years ago you got pulled over and cited multiple times (based on your use of the plural), but had no idea you never paid the fines??? Your license got suspended but you never knew about it (perhaps because you never advised the department of licensing of a change of address, as is required by law???) You were then cited and released for driving on a suspended. You obviously were given a BIG break that time as your car was not towed, you got only a fine with no jail time or probation, and didn't even have to post bail.

And, now, 2 years later, you again got multiple traffic citations (again, from your use of the plural), but again had no idea you never paid the fines??? Your license was suspended again, but, again, you knew nothing about that??? Come on! I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night!

So, now you want to know if you can expect to skate with as sweet a deal as you got last time, right? Well...probably not. Your license is already suspended (not that you seem to give a little thing like that much regard), and you can expect it is going to stay suspended for a while yet. Your fine this time is likely to be a bit more memorable than the last time. Jail is a real possibility, but a suspended jail sentence with about a year of probation (including conditions like some classes, fees, no further violations, regular meetings with a PO, etc.) is probably more likely.

Unfortunately, I fully expect to see you posting again, in about 6 months or so, in the probation & parole forum. I expect your post will go something along the lines of "I got probation for driving on a suspended license. I've paid all my fees on time, made all of my meetings, have been going to the required classes, and been an all-around model citizen. But, last week I got arrested for driving on a suspended again. (Fill in weak excuse about how you HAD to drive because...whatever) Now, my PO has scheduled me for a violation hearing. Am I likely to go to jail this time? (Fill in whiny reasons you CAN'T go to jail)"

Karnac the Magnificent moment over.
    The first time ( year and a half ago or so) I had a suspended for unpaid fines, which I was aware weren't paid, but didn't know they would suspend my license for it. That time I went to court, with a re-instated license, and got a fine that I paid.

Now THIS time I truly don't even remember/know what the fines could have been for, or that I had unpaid fines (as hard as you may find that to believe it is the whole-hearted truth). If I was aware I had unpaid fines, I would have been aware of the suspension (because or my previous and similar experience), and therefore not have been driving, nor would my mother have allowed me to drive her car. You can call me a liar, but it doesn't help me and will just waste your time, making you look like the asshole (ofc I'll still look like the dumbass, but that's understandable, considering the circumstance). ALSO, to say "(not that you seem to give a little thing like that much regard)" I wasn't aware either time I was driving on a suspended, so please don't just ASSUME things, it makes and ASS out of U and ME.

On top of that the "whiny reasons" may sound whiny to you, but in all actuality I love my parents with unconditional love (maybe you were neglected and never developed that?) So sorry if I sound a little concerned about my second parent dying in 3 years, (father died in august of 2009 before i was even 18). It's not as if I'm going to go into court saying these things. I was just coming here to maybe get a little preparation for what's in store. I suppose if the judge is as cold hearted as you, then I could very well be in trouble.

I guess the only thing I can do is pray for god to soften the judge's heart, and to help him/her see my sincerity in trying to right my wrongs. Thank you for your responses, sorry you are so cold hearted, but if you try to improve your attitude you may live a slightly richer, and happier life.

P.S. Why would I come on here and tell a bold faced lie to some random people who have ABSOLUTELY no say in the outcome of my case? That's in response to the "Come on! I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night!" I'm being as truthful as possible in order to get the most accurate answer. Please don't just ignorantly assume that I'm lying.

If you want the prosecutor or judge to be any more sympathetic to you than PTPD22, I suggest paying every single penny of your fines, costs, reinstatement fees, etc., bringing with you to court proof of all payments and (if possible given your history) driver's license reinstatement. Even then, given your history, you can expect resistance to again giving you a significant break. If you start complaining about the prosecutor or judge having stone-cold hearts, well, it won't help but... odds are they're not going to be warm. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you want the prosecutor or judge to be any more sympathetic to you than PTPD22, I suggest paying every single penny of your fines, costs, reinstatement fees, etc., bringing with you to court proof of all payments and (if possible given your history) driver's license reinstatement. Even then, given your history, you can expect resistance to again giving you a significant break. If you start complaining about the prosecutor or judge having stone-cold hearts, well, it won't help but... odds are they're not going to be warm. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.
    Thank you for you very much for your advice and time. I understand the judge/prosecutor will more than likely have little sympathy (if any) for my case. I have already gotten it reinstated (for the time being), and will bring everything to court, all the way down to the receipt for the reinstatement. I will also call down on Monday, and make sure that all my fines are paid off. I'll be praying for the best, and I nearly always expect the worst. I'll come back and let people know what happened. If you are a fellow Christian please keep me and my family in your prayers. If not, then thank you for not disrespecting my religious beliefs (as most of the internet users do). Either way, thank you for your kind words.
    Also I would like to apologize to PTD22, I had just woke up, and was not in a good mood. I shouldn't have put you down.

EDIT:
    Does anybody know if I'll be facing all the charges on the ticket in court, or if since the court date notification letter only said for suspended license, does it mean that's all I'll be there for? That may be a stupid question, but I'm just quite unclear on that still.

1. Sponsored Links