My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: SC
First, thanks so much for taking time to read my post and replying. Any answer is greatly appreciated. So, here goes my story:
My wife and I got married on April 12th, 2012. After the reception, my friend was driving us to the airport. On the way to the airport, a lady didn't stop at a stop sign and we T-boned her. This accident happened in S.C. We were going around 35-40 MPH. My friend's car was totalled. The lady was at fault (per the police report). My wife and I were sitting in the back seats with our seatbelts on. Once the ambulance came, we were taken to the hospital. Below are the symptoms and the cost of our medical bills.
1. Minor Head Injury -Headache and some bleeding (CT SCAN came back fine)
2. X Ray on Thumb - was hurting but nothing broken. Just sore
3. Broken Right Foot - Approximately 9 Weeks in Cast. Was on pain meds. Could not walk.
4. Missed our honeymoon. We were supposed to be on our honeymoon from April 12th to 25th.
5. Basically, first three months of being newly weds went down the drain...
6. Missed 2 Weeks of work. I am independent contractor. 10-99
6. 8k in medical bills altogether.
1. Concussion at the scene
2. Neck Pain
3. Arm Pain
4 Shoulder pain
5. Very depressed/upset because of the honeymoon situation. We don't know when we are going. She is also very upset that we didn't have a "husband" for the first three months of her marriage.
6. She has been taking care of me because I cannot walk. She has had to drive me to work and reschedule her time around school.
7. 5k in medical bills altogether.
My question is, what is reasonable to ask for the settlement?
I've seen people saying to ask between 1.5-5 times of medical bills. Some are saying thats not the way to calculate the emotional pain and suffering. The lady (at fault) driver has a max of 16k per person. But, my friends policy has an underinsured policy of 50k per person. Again, any help would be much apprecaited.