Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is It Illegal to Publish a Mugshot of a Minor

Hello everyone. I need your help. Is it illegal for a website to publish a mugshot of a minor?

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Publish a Mugshot of a Minor

If it's a public record, it's fair game.

Quote Quoting eireunjimuel
    View Post
    Hello everyone. I need your help. Is it illegal for a website to publish a mugshot of a minor?
    And, even if not a public record, the website can likely publish it anyway.

The public record laws might restrict who such mugshots might be released to, but they do not generally prohibit the media or the general public from dispersing the images.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    And, even if not a public record, the website can likely publish it anyway.

The public record laws might restrict who such mugshots might be released to, but they do not generally prohibit the media or the general public from dispersing the images.
    Here we cannot release the names/ mug shots of minors if it is a Misdemeanor. If the minor is charged with a Felony then all information is public record and released. Not sure about other states/ jurisdictions.

"Minor" does not automatically mean a "juvenile" court case. If it is not a juvenile matter the mugshot is public record.

Jess, are you sure about that? Arrests and convictions are public record unless the record has been sealed. Many jurisdictions CHOOSE not to publish the name of minors but there is that little thing called the First Amendment, y'know?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Jess, are you sure about that? Arrests and convictions are public record unless the record has been sealed. Many jurisdictions CHOOSE not to publish the name of minors but there is that little thing called the First Amendment, y'know?

Ok will give you that about the First Amendment. I know that is my agency’s policy, again that is why I said here. I know my policy well, as when I was new, I was written up for failing to redact a name once lol. We cannot release names of Juveniles to the media and their mug shots are not displayed on the public website if it is a misdemeanor. Also when the PCA's are done if there is a Juveniles name in it, we have to redact it out. If it is a felony you can see it online and it gets put in the newspaper and released to the media.

It is frequently the policy of agencies not to publish the names of minors. I am not questioning that this is the policy. That is a very different thing from it being law, however, and your post suggested that you were claiming it was a law.

Quote Quoting horseyjess
    View Post
    Here we cannot release the names/ mug shots of minors if it is a Misdemeanor. If the minor is charged with a Felony then all information is public record and released. Not sure about other states/ jurisdictions.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    It is frequently the policy of agencies not to publish the names of minors. I am not questioning that this is the policy. That is a very different thing from it being law, however, and your post suggested that you were claiming it was a law.
    Ok I never posted that it was law. I stated that HERE we cannot release if it is a minor. Sorry if you miss took the way I was meaning the post. I never said it wasn't legal and could NOT be done. I just stated here we are not allowed to do it . Never quoted any statutes or law per say. Just stated we are not allowed to. I also stated I was not sure about other states and or other jurisdictions’. So I really do not get where you understood that I said it was against the law .

"Cannot" implies prohibited by law - that it is mandatory and/or forbidden. "Will not" or "do not" would imply that it is policy; that is is a choice the agency has made.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast