Default Can a 14 Year Old Boy Sign a Birth Certificate

My question involves child support in the State of: Florida
    What do you think are the legalities of a minor signing a child's birth certificate when the girlfriend coaxed him into doing so because she did not want the real father to know he was the bio?( No witnesses and in hospital room)

Default Re: Can a 14 Year Old Boy Sign a Birth Certificate

seeing that sex at that age is illegal, one would think the police would have been notified and the situation reviewed.

ya got a bit more in the line of details?

How old is the "father" now?
    How did she coax him?

and no witnesses? I would have to check but I believe that is a requirement.

from a Florida affidavit of paternity:
    ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF PATERNITY
    TYPE OR PRINT IN BLUE OR BLACK INK
    THIS FORM MUST BE SIGNED BY BOTH MOTHER AND FATHER IN THE PRESENCE OF A NOTARY PUBLIC OR BEFORE TWO WITNESSES.
    IMPORTANT - Read Information and Instructions on the reverse side of this form and acknowledge your understanding by signing at the bottom
    of the reverse side of this form as well as below under "Acknowledgment By Natural Parents".

First, your scenario is impossible. A Florida acknowledgment of paternity must either be witnessed or notarized - so clearly at least one other person was in the room. Second, the grown-ups would have found out about it soon enough.

Beyond that, I would think that Junior made a mess and may need his parents' help to clean it up. I would think that if Junior is regretting his decision years after-the-fact, he may have created a situation he cannot escape.

OK Thanks, I was asking for someone I know and yes it is a few years later now.

It's exactly the same as the situation your son is in.

You sign on that line? You better make darned sure that's what you really want.

- - - Updated - - -

(And yes, there were witnesses. It didn't happen how you describe)
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I doubt anything signed by a 14 year old is legally binding. A contract is certainly not binding.

I would think Children's Services would have been called and would be all over it. If not, there are some adults with serious legal exposure out there.

Paternity prior to a DNA test can always be challenged and certainly after a minor turns 18 and realizes how stupid he was.

Witnesses don't matter as nothing signed by a 14 year old is legally binding. Nor is there ANY WAY that a minor can be made to pay child support. Perhaps his parents, but that is a long shot.

Somebody needs to talk to a family law attorney before they are talking to DCF and judge.

Conrad, it's a made-up scenario - the actual question is about a seventeen-year-old (see her other thread). And yes, a minor can sign an acknowledgment of paternity, as well as being subject to parentage proceedings in court. Even the babies of teenagers are entitled to have accurate birth records, and the state supports that.

Quote Quoting Conrad Hunter
    View Post
    I doubt anything signed by a 14 year old is legally binding. A contract is certainly not binding.

I would think Children's Services would have been called and would be all over it. If not, there are some adults with serious legal exposure out there.

Paternity prior to a DNA test can always be challenged and certainly after a minor turns 18 and realizes how stupid he was.

Witnesses don't matter as nothing signed by a 14 year old is legally binding. Nor is there ANY WAY that a minor can be made to pay child support. Perhaps his parents, but that is a long shot.

Somebody needs to talk to a family law attorney before they are talking to DCF and judge.

1. Yes, a minor can sign an affidavit of parentage and it can and generally WILL be upheld.

2. No, his age alone is NOT reason to challenge paternity. Neither is him reaching your magical age of 18.

3. Yes, a minor CAN be ordered to pay child support.

4. Someone - you - really needs to stop.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links