Default How to Give Guardianship to a Nonparent in the Event of Divorced Parents' Death

My question involves guardianship in the State of: Arkansas

I am a step parent. My step daughter's mother is ill and would like to have legal papers saying that if she and my husband were to both die, I would get custody. I am trying to write something up for her to sign, but I am not finding much information on this. Any suggestions on how to word such a document or other things we could do to make this more official, would be appreciated.

Default Re: Legal Document Est. Guardianship of Child in the Event of Divorced Parents Death

There's no real way you can do anything which would actually stand up in court; even if your state allows for a "standby guardianship", the court does not have to abide by the wishes of the parents.

(Though such a "standby guardianship" may be quite influential).
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: How to Give Guardianship to a Nonparent in the Event of Divorced Parents' Death

Quote Quoting Eagle613
    View Post
    MyMy step daughter's mother is ill and would like to have legal papers saying that if she and my husband were to both die, I would get custody.
    If you're the stepfather, I expect that you're the husband. Do you mean her ex-husband, the child's biological father?

What's his position?

Default Re: How to Give Guardianship to a Nonparent in the Event of Divorced Parents' Death

Step-parent - I'm not sure if OP edited her post before you responded though, Aaron.

Do not microwave grapes

I am the step-mother. If there are family members that will likely fight for custody, is there a legal way to let it be known that are not to get custody?

Re-read my earlier post.

Family members do in fact often have the upper hand in these cases. There is nothing you can write or fill out right now that would guarantee that the family members won't get custody.

Do not microwave grapes

Do you have to get a lawyer to do a standby guardianship?

It's usually best to, yes. Think of it a little like a living will - instead of listing your preferences regarding healthcare, it's going to list preferences regarding who the kids will go to in the event of both parents being deceased or otherwise incapacitated.

Again though bear in mind that this is not legally binding and the court does not have to abide by the wishes of the parents.

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links