Default Workers Comp Settlement After Double Carpal Tunnel Surgery

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of: Kentucky.

I have had surgery on both wrists, last year,(2010). I was just informed by my companies Human Resouce Director that i was intitled to $11,000 for my 6% disability and
    would recieve lifetime meical for anything that would involve my wrist or due to the carpeltunnel.
    My question is this, I get paid in weekly amounts of around $26 , its about eight years of weekly payment. Should i sighn the paper and just do it this way or should i
    drop the lifetime medical on my wrist and try for a lump sum?

Another question is this, should i ask for a retest on my wrist to see if the disability might be a higher percentage? which could mean more money.

I am still employed and work with no issues with my hands or wrist, I feel that the surgery was a success. Thank you for any information that you can give me.

Default Re: Double Carpel Tunnel Surgery.6% Disable.how to Accept the Settlement

When you asked these questions of a workers comp attorney in KY, what did he or she say?

Default Re: Double Carpel Tunnel Surgery.6% Disable.how to Accept the Settlement

I have not talked to anyone about this. Just trying to find some fast advice.

You really need to be talking to an attorney in your state, who knows the ins and outs of workers comp in KY (workers comp is very state specific) and who can elicit details that you really shouldn't post on a message board.

thanks, going to talk to a local attorny

Default Re: Workers Comp Settlement After Double Carpel Tunnel Surgery

If you are being offered a lump sum settlement to cover all future benefits and medical, you need to be aware of the risk that you will require future surgery or medications and (a) won't have the funds to pay for them, (b) won't be eligible for worker's compensation benefits to pay for them and (c) may find that any health insurance provider you have is unwilling to pay for them on the basis that they're a worker's comp injury and/or (depending on what happens in the next couple of years) a pre-existing condition. For some people that's a reasonable bet, for others it turns out to be a really bad deal.

Keep in mind that based upon your description of your recovery, a challenge to your rating and retest could cause your impairment rating to be reduced.

a couple thoughts to consider:

a new medical opinion could be lower.

unless you know the medical community and the doctors you are taking a risk.
    and, if done correctly, the rating guidelines don't allow much variance between doctors.

until you know how much more they will pay for dumping the lifetime medical you cannot make an informed decision as to which option is better.

An offer an employer makes to an unrepresented WC claimant is rarely the way to go.

1. Sponsored Links