Default Wrong Accused of Crimes Due to Identity Theft

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arkansas

Hello, the only trouble I have ever been in was a DUI a couple of years ago. I was pulled over last weekend due to not wearing a seat belt.After the officer ran my name he comes back to my vehicle and asks me to step out of the car. He informs me that I have a felony warrant from the neighboring city for Residential Burglary along with two other charges of Theft of Property (under 500) and 3rd degree battery. After being booked and then sent to the neighboring city's jail I had the opportunity to review the charges being put forth. I have no idea who any of the people on the affidavit are (victims nor co-defendants). After thinking about the time this event took place I realized that I had lost my drivers license about 2-3 weeks prior to when this occurred. This is the only way I could imagine any of these people knowing my name or what I looked like.

Allegedly what happened was I was inside this woman's house along with 2 other co-defendants, I beat up another person there and removed a key from a keychain and later had someone come and "repo" it. I did a little research on my "co-defendants" and found out that they have been involved with drugs, fraud, theft, and etc. After doing a little more research it turns out that the car was then later recovered at a drug bust and returned to the owner.

I called down to the sheriffs dept and spoke with the detective handling the case and tried to explain the situation, along with the lost id, but to no avail. He told me that the person i allegedly beat up identified me by name and description. I even went to the police dept in hopes of filing an impersonation report, but they would not help. I asked the detective around what time the crime occurred and he told me around 3AM, so I could not use work records to prove where I was, all i have is my wife's alibi. I have issued credit freezes on all my reports and I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to check to see if this person could be using my ID in traffic citations.

I was trying to handle this case independently without an attorney because I'm 24, work every day, and have a family to support, but it seems like I will be forced to hire one. I feel like i am the victim of criminal identity theft and/or crappy police work. I was arrested while in the middle of my work-shift and almost fired, my name has been in the local papers and broadcasted on the radio. I've been humilited, caused grief, and my reputation has been tarnished in the eyes of many people. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Criminal Identity Theft / Wrongfully Accused of Burglary, Battery

First, keep fighting it.

Talk with various attorneys and you may also want to consider a private investigator.

Work on your own also to sort records and receipts you may keep - see if you can find anything saying you were at work, the store, etc, when one of these crimes were doing down.

How long did it take to report the missing drivers license? Obtain a report about that.

A lawyer or PI will go a long way to investigate the supposed co-defendants.

Good luck to you.

Default Re: Wrong Accused of Crimes Due to Identity Theft

It is a good thing you valued your driving privilege enough to immediately report the lost license and obtain a new one so you could legally drive. The records of you doing so will help prove it was not you.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

1. Sponsored Links