Default Can I Expunge My Petty Theft Charge After 1 Year

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Ohio

In 1994 I eventually pleaded no contest to Misdemeanor 4 criminal trespass (being in a park after hours) I have had nothing untill 2011. In 2011 I had 3 tickets for disorderly conduct/public intox and never went to court on any of them, just paid a $100 fine for all 3 together. (kind of a somebody knew somebody thing) A couple months later in Feb of 2012 I received a petty theft charge with 15 days in jail, which I completed and paid fines. Will I be able, in a yea,r to have the Petty Theft Misdemeanor 1 expunged since the previous misdemeanor 4 was being "in park after hours" and the tickets in 2011 I never accually attended court for, but paid one single fine?

Default Re: Can I Expunge My Petty Theft Charge After 1 Year

Even though you didn't attend court they will still be on your record. You might want to visit your county courthouse to get a copy of your criminal record before you decide to hire a lawyer to try to get something expunged.

I did get a copy of my criminal record and they all are on there. I'm just not sure if I would be eligialbe to have the Petty Theft expunded or sealed with those others on there.

Different states have different guidelines/timelines. You will want to research your states information, and consult with a lawyer in the area where your charges were (preferably the lawyer your retained, or the public defender who was involved in your cases).

At 1 year....very unlikely. But it still does not hurt to go to the courthouse (where your case was handled) and get a Certified Copy of Judgement. Your State Police may also have a way of going to their website, entering your info, pay on a credit card, and print your criminal history (print out a few copies for your record for the same price).

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, just saw you did get a copy of your record.

Rest of the advice remains the same. Good luck to ya.

You can only get an expungement of a conviction in Ohio if you are a first time offender. There's an exception for minor misdemeanors, which don't count as prior offenses, but you say that you have a prior 4th degree misdemeanor conviction (as well as several presumably minor misdemeanors for disorderly conduct). Read the details here.

That said, are you sure your conviction for being in a park after hours was for a fourth degree misdemeanor, not a minor misdemeanor?

On my record it states the being in the park after hours was "criminal trespass 4th degree misdemeanor" - I was only cutting through to get home. 30 days jail suspended and $50 fine. I was only 19 at the time and it was 1994. It is what the lawyer I quess negociated, I didnt know any better at the time. I thought a 4th degree misdemeanor was nothing. Thanks for the info!

1. Sponsored Links