Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I Got Caught Shoplifting - What Do I Expect in Court

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington.

All right I got caught shoplifting Claires. It was so stupid of me. I'm a good little girl who has never lied or stolen before in my entire life. The thing was, I had actually started out stealing and then decided to undo what I had stolen and then forgot I was going to do it. Hard to believe? I have very bad fibromyalgia and get really bad fibro fog where I forget what I do and I get confused easy. I honestly fully intended to put everything back. It was one little thing. You know what else is ridiculous? I bought thirty dollars worth of merchandise, one of the things being identical to the thing I actually stole.

Well after I bought everything, the lovely employee waited to grab me until AFTER I was outside of the store, so that she could actually press charges. And here I am, not having a clue I'm being busted, because I literally forgot there was something I could be busted for. Then I realize what happens, and I silently say "oh shit". Honestly I think that if I had consciously been stealing and was fully aware of why she was calling me back in, I would have pretended I didn't hear her and keep walking, since legally she cannot detain me. But now maybe it's good, I learned my lesson.

Anyways, she takes me back to security and I honestly don't even say a thing. A cop came and read me my rights, and I really didn't answer any of his questions he asked, besides "I don't know." I was just polite and straight faced and just signed stuff and whatever. At one point the cop actually got in my face and was quite rude to me. I understand that this store gets a lot of shoplifters, like crazy, but this was a little over the top.

They banned me from the malls and all of the stores around the mall, and I have a court date set for next month.

This is my first offense, of any kind (including tickets, etc). The problem is I'm barely eighteen, so I know they will be rough on me.

I definitely have a lot of help on my side, from what I've researched, as far as how I was treated, my illness, and other things here and there. The thing is, and I know that I will probably not get any help here as soon as I utter these words, but I really don't want to go to court and plead guilty. There are so many holes and gaps in this story that I could stick my foot into, and I really don't want a flood of "oh that's stupid just buck up and take it". I want mature respectful answers on the options I have here. I don't want a character lecture, I just want to know plain and simple what I have to do. Something very easy for me to say was that I simply had it in my pocket to hold while I decided on which items to buy and forgot about it. Which still is terrible on my part but is a lot better than me maliciously stealing. Which, again, was my full intent, but wasn't what I was actually going to carry out once I thought about it.

Since I have an attorny that will represent me, I have been told I will not have to speak at the trial.

What should I expect at the trial? What evidence will they use? I'm inquiring about testimonies, security camera footage, etc. I have reciepts of what I bought, a doctor's note explaining how I'm ill, etc. Please help me out here. I am seriously freaking. I am very upset at how I was treated today, and I know that's not very fair of me to say, but I was treated horribly over a six dollar pair of earrings. Help me out guys. I need to know what is safe to approach my attorny with. Thank you.

Default Re: I Got Caught Shoplifting Claires. I Was Stupid, I Know. What Do I Expect in Court

First, I suggest you listen to your attorney. I also suggest you run the same "I'm a good little girl, my disability made me do it" routine by him/her, so they can tell what a load off crap the judge will think it is, before throwing the book at you.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed a village. Give a man a fish, the ever growing village demands free fish. We will now spend trillions on social services and SSI for people who don't know how to fish.

Default Re: I Got Caught Shoplifting Claires. I Was Stupid, I Know. What Do I Expect in Court

Good luck with the Fibro Fog story. The judge has heard that one and similar ones already.

As for that what story you should use - sorry, we do not help criminals get off. Sticking it in your pocket to hold while choosing items is not gonna fly - they have little carts available in that small store. I will tell you this - lie in court, you can guarantee the judge will come down harder on you.

As for the lovely employee who busted you - you could have been arrested the minute you concealed the item.

You can bet that the store will have footage that will be shown to the prosecutor, and played if the case goes to full trial. You can expect the testimony from the employee that busted you.

Trial - your attorney will do the talking.

You can expect that $6.00 pair of earrings to cost you $2000+. Seriously. You will get a letter in the mail called a Civil Demand. Pay it. You will have the cost of your attorney. And court costs/fines.

PS....with Fibro Fog, I sure hope your doctor has recommended you not drive....

dont play the 'im a good little girl' story. also, every thief...every darn one of them says...'this was my first time!' in your case it may or may not be true. doesnt matter. dont use it. everyone has heard that worn out excuse before.

kudos to you for not talking to the police. that is certainly within your right. most people are in jails and prison because they couldnt keep their mouths shut. sometimes cops do have a problem with one exercising their constitutional rights. that is okay too. dont fall for the intimidation technique.

And don't play the "I have never lied" thing either....

These statements already say "You're a frickin' liar".

"There are so many holes and gaps in this story that I could stick my foot into". Liars often can't remember or stick to their story.....

"Something very easy for me to say (lie about) was that I simply had it in my pocket to hold while I decided on which items to buy and forgot about it. Which still is terrible on my part but is a lot better than me maliciously stealing. Which, again, was my full intent, but wasn't what I was actually going to carry out once I thought about it."

Please....you're not a good little girl who has never lied or stolen. You have lied before, you were trying your lie on us, and you have likely stolen before.

So you have an attorney and you are on this forum asking questions? Why are you paying the attorney? Ask them your questions. I bet they would be pissed to see this thread.

Quote Quoting Security Consultant
    View Post
    So you have an attorney and you are on this forum asking questions? Why are you paying the attorney? Ask them your questions. I bet they would be pissed to see this thread.
    Why would they be pissed? There are no identities here. They are getting their money either way.

Keep talking....

Claires, the cops, the prosecutor, the judge, your lawyer may be reading this OPEN FORUM. It might cause your lawyer to drop you (and keep the retainer) or make his job harder, costing you more money.....

C'mon....although it is public, no one knows who is who. Do you know how many people get caught stealing from Claires/Icing in a month? Ridiculous amounts of people. If they are online searching this forum for random similarities to a case they have (petty theft, really?) then they have way too much time on their hands.

We will let the little idiot take your advice, over people who have been here for years. You are the expert troll, ya know.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast