Question Freeway Speeding Ticket, 85mph in 65mph, VC 22349(A)

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA

Earlier this afternoon I was cruising at 85MPH going southbound on Route 395 just north of Adelanto, CA. Was on the last leg of a long journey from Northern California.

Passed a CHP on the side of the road and slowed then to 75MPH and monitored the rear view mirror for any activity from him. Nothing. Until about 2 minutes later I see the flashing lights in my rear view mirror. Dang.

He was a nice guy.

Facts:
    1) I was going 85 in a 65. No doubt about it.
    2) Officer used Radar, and cited VC 22349(a)
    3) Ticket says to appear in mid July at 1773 HWY58 in Mojave, CA 93501. It's about 2.5 hours from my home land of San Bernardino, CA.
    4) Due to a hectic life, and general retardation, I did not have up to date registration on me. It was actually at home. Similarily, I did not have updated proof of insurance -- only outdated cards. The officer said he was not going to report me for those items, and that I should just go hom e and take care of it. Like I said, really nice guy.
    5) In Spring of 2010, I rolled through a Red Light Camera stoplight and was convicted in San Bernardino Superior Court. I plead guilty and paid the full amount and the judge allowed me to go to traffic school. No points on driving record.

I have spent about 2 hours browsing this site for similar situations/advice and I would like your quasi-expert advice in regards to my tentative plan for this ticket.

Tentative Plan:
    1) Appear before the judge and plead guilty.
    2) Hope that they will reduce the fee and allow me to attend traffic school (again).
    3) Avoid any DMV points/subsequent insurance premium increases.

Questions:
    1) Does anyone out there have any knowledge of this particular court's track-record with respect to court
    appearances/subsequent fee reductions/traffic school? Based on this webpage, I am eligible for traffic school, which is nice.
    2) Fee is scheduled for $360, if I read the Bail Schedule correctly. How much could I hope that the judge will reduce the fee if I show up and plead for mercy (assuming, that is, that this particular court reduces fees at all)

Mitigating Circumstances:
    1) I really wish I would have gotten the 22350 infraction, as that would have been much easier to argue
    but alas I didn't.
    2) The only reason I would even hope that the judge might reduce the fee whilst concomitantly allowing traffic school is because that is exactly what my first judge in San Bernardino County did -- each of us appeared before him, pleaded guilty, and he asked if we wanted traffic school. Of course everyone did, and he reduced everyone's fees except for him. My situation was quite precarious. You see I was trying to be a good citizen and show some goodwill and I made the terrible mistake of paying the full bail amount before appearing before the judge. Once I realized that reduced amounts were the trend, I asked if I could be refunded a portion of my posted payment. The judge declined. Sigh..

Anyways, I would appreciate your help. To recap, I would like to know if anyone has any insight as to whether this particular court (or all courts) might reduce my fee.

Default Re: Freeway Speeding Ticket, 85mph in 65mph, VC 22349(A)

You should be eligible for traffic school with no problems. Had it been 25mph over, might be a different story. Expecting a fine reduction? Understandable, however, you will have to appear in court before the judge to ask for that and find for yourself.

That is the correct bail schedule and $360 sure is the correct amount for 20 over, but there is no conceivable way for anyone to give you any estimate on how much of a reduction you should expect. I've seen fines for speeding and failure to appears that amounted to $1000+ get reduced to $100 and a smile, but I've also seen people shunned for even asking the question.

Personally, I couldn't tell you what the court's track record is; those obviously will vary from court to court, judge to judge and even day to day if comparing the same judge.

Good luck!
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

Default Re: Freeway Speeding Ticket, 85mph in 65mph, VC 22349(A)

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    You should be eligible for traffic school with no problems. Had it been 25mph over, might be a different story. Expecting a fine reduction? Understandable, however, you will have to appear in court before the judge to ask for that and find for yourself.

That is the correct bail schedule and $360 sure is the correct amount for 20 over, but there is no conceivable way for anyone to give you any estimate on how much of a reduction you should expect. I've seen fines for speeding and failure to appears that amounted to $1000+ get reduced to $100 and a smile, but I've also seen people shunned for even asking the question.

Personally, I couldn't tell you what the court's track record is; those obviously will vary from court to court, judge to judge and even day to day if comparing the same judge.

Good luck!
    Thanks for replying... I was just wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this court in particular.

1. Sponsored Links