Hybrid View

Default Bell Internet Refusing to Refund Deposit for Services That Were Not Provided

My question involves a consumer law issue in the province of: Ontario

Hey guys,

I am in dire need of some help. I know it doesn't involve a lot of money ($200) but I am a student and that is a lot of money to me. The story is as follows:

We were moving into a new apartment, called Bell Canada ahead of moving to arrange internet/phone/cable. They promised us a high level of fiber optic internet that we were more than happy to pay for. When the technician arrived, he was unable to figure out why he couldn't hook up said internet and cable. After a long investigation he figured out that the level of service was not available to us. We found out that they could only provide dial up phone line internet that we were not interested in. We cancelled our services and asked for our $200 deposit back. We were told 21 days to receive our refund. That was 3 (THREE) MONTHS AGO! Every time we call we get a difference excuse, a different runaround, and even several times they have blatantly LIED to my wife. One employee even went so far as to give her a fake confirmation number and told her that we would receive it in 10 days. When she called for an update on this there was no record of anything this employee said to her, and the confirmation number was false. They refuse to let us speak to a manager, and refuse to pay us. I would like to take this to small claims court or whatever necessary to get our money back.

Please help, I am not very knowledgeable in this field and I am out of ideas.

Sincerely,
    Tom

Default Re: Bell Internet Refusing to Refund Deposit for Services That Were Not Provided

We only assist in US issues, sorry.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed an entire village. Give a man a fish, the village starts demanding free fish. Then they have three children who all start families and demand free fish as their right.

Default Re: Bell Internet Refusing to Refund Deposit for Services That Were Not Provided

US and Canadian law are not the same, and we have no experts in Canadian consumer law here.

My experience with telecommunications companies is that they can be very slow and frustrating to work with on issues like this. While this forum doesn't cover Canadian law, your plan to take them to the equivalent of a small claims court would be the best solution at this point. I would give them one more chance to solve this problem and stress that your next step will be to make a claim through the legal system. That's probably enough incentive to get them to pay up.

Thanks for the advice, I assumed as much. Also I apologize for my mistake, I didn't realize it was strictly American.

Cheers,
    Tom

1. Sponsored Links