Default Firearm Rights With a Juvenile Felony Conviction

My question involves criminal records for the state of: WA

Hi there, first time poster here,

I'll just get right into it, when i was 17 I was convicted of Juvenile 2nd Degree Robbery (Strong Armed, Class B) and stripped of all my rights to own firearms and what not, i know this is considered a violent crime, but I myself didn't actually have anything to do with the robbery, I was tagged as an accessory because the people i was with decided to rob someone.
    Not a day has gone by that i haven't regretted the actions i made that day, and pretty much ever since then i have been on the straight and narrow. No convictions whatsoever (other than traffic violations for speeding, etc, etc.)
    It is my only arrest EVER, never arrested or convicted of anything else.

I am now 22 and my felony has been nothing but a hindrance on me getting anywhere and now i would like to purchase a firearm, and have really no money for lawyers and I am trying to find a way to get my record expunged, or even if i am eligible for an expunge. It has been 5 years since my date of conviction as of the beginning of April.

Basically i am just trying to find out what my options are in the way of getting this off my record without paying for a lawyer or anything like that, or even plausible ideas you may have that aren't expunging my record.
    I would like to know what the qualifications are for getting an expunge or how to go about getting a CPL under my current circumstances. My main concern is just being able to own firearms, they are a giant passion of mine and have been since childhood, and i hate not being able to go hunting with friends and family or even just to the range.

Thank you in advance for all your help and feel free to PM me for any more info you might need that could help you determine what my best course of action would be.

-Nick

Default Re: Firearm Rights With a Juvenile Felony Conviction

If you qualify for expungement, the necessary form (Motion and Declaration to Seal Records of Juvenile Offender) is here.
    Quote Quoting 2.2 Sealing records - factors pursuant to RCW 13.50.050:
    Class A Felony Conviction: At least one of the offenses I am attempting to seal involves a Class A felony but both of the following are true:

1. Since my last date of release from confinement, including full-time residential treatment, or from the entry of disposition (including deferred disposition), I have spent five consecutive years in the community without committing any offense or crime that has resulted in conviction or adjudication.
    2. I have not been convicted of Rape in the First Degree, Rape in the Second Degree, or Indecent Liberties with Forcible Compulsion;

All Class B and C Felony, Gross Misdemeanor, or Misdemeanor Convictions, or Diversions: Since my last date of release from confinement, including full-time residential treatment, or from the entry of disposition (including deferred disposition), I have spent two consecutive years in the community without committing any offense or crime that has resulted in conviction or diversion.

And, I meet the following requirements:

There are no proceedings pending against me seeking the conviction or diversion of a juvenile or criminal offense.

I am no longer required to register as a sex offender under RCW 9A.44.130 or I have been relieved of the duty to register under RCW 9A.44.143 if I was convicted of a sex offense.

Full restitution has been paid.

I am eligible to have my records sealed under RCW 13.50.050(11) and (12) in that I have satisfied all the requirements of those statutes.

Thank you so much for the help, my only question now is after i print out that form can i just fill it out myself and take it to the courthouse? or do i need to have anything officiated or anything like that? And about how long a process is it to get your record expunged? A few weeks? Months?

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

It's a fill-in-the-blanks form. You complete it by filling in the blanks with the required information.

The amount of time it will take you to complete, file and serve your motion, have a hearing, and get a decision from the judge depends first and foremost on your own diligence and second upon how quickly the court can schedule and hold the hearing. So... somewhere between six weeks and forever. If you're diligent I expect you could get a decision in two to three months, but individual experiences will vary.

1. Sponsored Links