My question involves paternity law for the State of: Louisiana
Hello, I have a sort of sticky situation with my ex-wife, so I'll try to make it easier with bullet points. Any help is is appreciated. Thanks!
- My ex-wife has a five year old son who cannot possibly be mine, since we were in different states at conception time.
- She cheated on me, and immediately upon finding out she was pregnant, emphatically told me I was not his father, and even told me and everyone else whose he was.
- She continued saying this other man was the father for the first three years of his life, then out of the blue one day, contacted me and came up with some odd story about how he is mine. Forgetting how crazy she was, I believed her for a little while, but have since wised up. She simply wanted to manipulate me.
- At the time of our divorce, she stated he was not mine, and the issues of paternity, custody, support, and everything thing else to do with him was left out of the divorce, which she insisted upon. Still no DNA test was requested, nor did I ask for one, since she was so insistent he wasn't mine.
- She claims she put my name on the birth certificate (we were still legally married at the time of birth, but not together at all). I don't even know if she could do this, because I was not there to sign off on it.
- In short, there is no proof at all he is mine, and I have never signed anything in regards to the child at all, except the agreement to leave him out of the divorce. I've met him maybe 3 times.
So all this leads me to my current issue and main question: Today, she messaged me out of the blue again, and asked if I would consider signing my rights away. Do I even HAVE rights to sign away? How will the fact that he was left out of our divorce at her request affect this situation? She did not ask for a DNA test still, but I fear that she can go after me for support even if I disprove paternity. Can she do that? Help!