Default Uncovering Hidden Funds

My question involves child support in the State of: NJ

My ex is in arrears for over $100,000. He is in the entertainment industry and has performed several shows recently and is also going to be hosting a radio show beginning June 1st. He has indicated to me that he can't be touched by child support enforcement because he has his money in an LLC. While I currently have sole custody, I believe he may file for visitiation but in anticipation of him trying to say he is 'unemployed' when we get to court...I'm wondering how can I go about showing that he is indeed making money but that the income is hidden. I don't know how deeply child support workers can investigate these matters. I have not heard back from the worker yet with the information I found online about his radio show and Media Group LLC business. My funds are limited, but is there some kind of investigator I can hire? Does anyone know how he may be hiding the money through an LLC? Will a judge believe that this man has no form of income (because its not documented) for the past 9 years but has flyers and advertisements for his radio show and performances?

I asked child support about a federal program that focuses on when cases are in arrears of over 100,000 but she said she did not have any information on it. Because he lives in another state it is difficult to enforce, there is no warrant for arrest. Does anyone have experience with the private child support collection agencies? Would they perhaps be helpful in this kind of case?

Default Re: Uncovering Hidden Funds

I expect that he's billing for his services through the LLC, then is engaging in dubious financial transactions such that he is supporting himself through the LLC rather than paying himself an income. I cannot investigate that for you. If you were to try to determine what income and assets the LLC has, you would want to engage in some discovery and subpoena the LLC's financial records and tax returns. I suggest working with a lawyer to attempt that, and you may need a forensic accountant to reconstruct past financial transactions. I very much doubt that a private collection agency would be helpful - for the most part they just want to collect cash and take a cut.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I expect that he's billing for his services through the LLC, then is engaging in dubious financial transactions such that he is supporting himself through the LLC rather than paying himself an income. I cannot investigate that for you. If you were to try to determine what income and assets the LLC has, you would want to engage in some discovery and subpoena the LLC's financial records and tax returns. I suggest working with a lawyer to attempt that, and you may need a forensic accountant to reconstruct past financial transactions. I very much doubt that a private collection agency would be helpful - for the most part they just want to collect cash and take a cut.
    Thank you very much for your feedback! It gives me somewhat of a starting point. I"ve seen some posts on here where it seemed the private collection agencies were very aggressive in their efforts, and thought they would have more resources that they could use than my c.s. case worker.

Private collection agencies can be very aggressive, if by that we mean sending letters, calling somebody at all hours, and even engaging in conduct that violates state and federal laws restricting debt collection practices, but in most cases (at least in my view) their actions primarily serve to shake money loose from people who don't know their rights or are willing to pay.

1. Sponsored Links