Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Withholding a Diploma

My question involves education law in the State of: Nebraska
    A day before high school graduation, a picture that was scheduled to be put in the yearbook was found to have several Sr. students making an obscene hand gesture in it. The students & parents were called into the office and told they would have their diplomas withheld & have to do 3 days in-school suspension starting the Monday AFTER graduation. This picture had been taken 6 months prior and the students did not even know that was the pic that had been chosen for the Sr. Video OR the yearbook. “No one” knows Who selected that particular photo for the yearbook.
    One of these students was a top scholar and scheduled to speak the next day. That student was told he would not be able to speak, even tho the grad programs were already printed. This top scholar honor was EARNED by that student strictly on GPA; not good works, not teacher votes, not volunteerism. Could the school legally have enforced that dis-service?
    After much “discussion”, it was agreed that the student could speak IF the student performed 2 EXTRA days of school labor. The other students were not assessed any additional punishment.
    All students had met all criteria for graduation including coursework, grades, and attendance. Can the school legally withhold their diplomas and enforce these 3 days of in-school isolation, AFTER they have officially graduated. All students had also been “checked out” by all of their teachers three days prior to this “discovery”.
    The students graduated,(but haven’t yet done the punishment). The honor student gave a wonderful speech, however, the day that was suppose to be happy and joyous was shadowed by ill-will and stress.
    MUST the students perform the 3 days Plus 2 extra to receive their official diploma? And if they don’t, and are never given their official diploma, will it hurt them in the future on college or job applications?

Default Re: Withholding a Diploma

Can your school punish you for acting badly? Of course it can.

the day that was suppose to be happy and joyous was shadowed by ill-will and stress.

Then it's a shame that the students who thought it was funny to ruin the pictures didn't act more maturely, isn't it?

Question Re: Withholding a Diploma

That really wasn't the question. The question is Can they withhold the diploma after being officially "checked out"? And does one really Need the official document in the future?

If the kiddies want to blow off their punishment and hope that it doesn't interfere with the official recognition of their graduation, college plans, or future employment... they can do what they want.

We do not know the details of the punishment and can make no promise that the only consequence of their blowing off their punishment will be that they don't receive a paper diploma.

Quote Quoting Momma93
    View Post
    My question involves education law in the State of: Nebraska
    A day before high school graduation...Can the school legally withhold their diplomas and enforce these 3 days of in-school isolation, AFTER they have officially graduated. .
    Up to and until they accept their diplomas, they are students ... sorry charlie, the school can dole out whatever punishment that's allowed

Question Re: Withholding a Diploma

So.. one more question.. Can a school system LEGALLY withhold the diploma after students are officially "checked out"?
    Okay.. 2 questions.. Mr. Knowitall, are you a lawyer?

MUST the students perform the 3 days Plus 2 extra to receive their official diploma?
    If they want it timely, yup. You may even find that this is in writing somewhere - that district policy requires all punishments to be served prior to releasing the diploma.

And if they don’t, and are never given their official diploma, will it hurt them in the future on college or job applications?
    It very well could, particularly if they intend to pursue careers requiring credentialing - often, one must submit one's original diploma as part of the credentialing process.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Can a school system LEGALLY withhold the diploma after students are officially "checked out"?

Yes. A school system can LEGALLY withhold the diploma after students are officially "checked out".

I hope that this is now clear to you.

Thank you, LawResearcherMissy. Very clear precise answer and no commentary on the validity of my questions or reasons for asking. I appreciate that. Thanks again.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast