Default What Percentage of Your Income Can Be Garnished

My question involves judgment recovery in the State of: Ohio

I earn $28,700 per year (13.80 per hour). After taxes are deducted my check is roughly 950.00 every two weeks. My current child support order is 685.00 per month. My new employer will be deducting from my paycheck.

I owe a student loan of 160.00 per month, which is currently in forbearance but now I am working I will have to pay.

The property I owned will be foreclosed at a sheriff's sale later this month because the bank would not accept a short sale offer. I will have a deficency around $50,000, provided the house sells.

I also have a credit card that is suing me in municipal court, $3000. The case is currently pending.

I owe the State of Ohio $11,000 from a reversal of an unemployment insurance claim that they took back after they paid me.

I have a car loan that is current, and I am trying to sell the car though I am about $1500 under water right now.

Assuming the worst, what amount of my check can go to pay various judgements and garnishments? Will the child support be paid first, because that is what I am most concerned about anyway?

Thank you.

Default Re: What Percentage of Your Income Can Be Garnished

See ORC Chpt. 2716.

If you end up being subject to garnishment orders from multiple courts, you will want to be sure that they're aware of prior orders so as to not exceed any limits.

I was just informed of this very alarming truth 2 days ago,they federal guidlines are 65% of your income. I'm beggining to see people don't actually answer questions on this thing,they just create more.

Quote Quoting tenaciousmom
    View Post
    I was just informed of this very alarming truth 2 days ago,they federal guidlines are 65% of your income. I'm beggining to see people don't actually answer questions on this thing,they just create more.

I think you'll find MKIA provided the answer right there.

Now, do YOU wish to clarify YOUR post, which is not quite accurate?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting tenaciousmom
    View Post
    And who informed you of this "alarming truth", pray?

Title III of the Consumer Credit Protection Act provides that an employee be garnished 25% of his disposable income - that is, income after all statutory deductions have been made. In the case of child support garnishments, the law allows up to 50% garnishment for an employee already supporting a spouse or child who is not subject to the support order in question, or 60% if they are not supporting a current spouse or child. There MAY be an additional 5% garnishment for support payments 12 weeks or more in arrears.

You can read about it here.

If you're going to flit from thread to thread with "advice", the least you could do is provide accurate information.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links