Default Can a Representative Payee Commingle the Recipient's Funds With Her Own

Worried about my social security when my payee dies or goes to hospital or nursing home.
    She is even considering giving me power of attorney & I am going to do the same. I don't have a guardian so I can still vote, drive & do other legal matters. If I get a job, I can spend the money-however I choose. I could even serve on a Jury.

We have checked there are no payee agency in my city-can't travel out of the city. We don't trust any other person to handle my benefits including my dad.

I read the payee agencies do not work with the beneficiary-which is actual against the payee rules. In another thread here

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137042

The Beneficiary should of called social security and said they were mishandling your funds or not getting you enough money to pay for every day needs. $30 a month for food is crazy. That is the fast way to become your own payee. Not paying for the rent is even crazier. That what it is suppose to be used for.

One error, I noticed in the thread, you can get SSI for physically & mild mental problems. When over 65 you can get if you are poor.

Now back to me, We don't want to take a chance of loosing it. My mother has taught me how to do things.

I am not sure if she did this correctly.

An exception for parents who are representative payees

A common checking account for all family members living in the same household who receive benefits may show a parent as the owner of the account. Children’s savings, however, must be held in a separate savings account for each child, with the child’s name shown as the owner of the account.
    Does mean she can commingle her SS funds, & my social security funds in a checking account and can I be on this account?

As far as me handling money. I am really good at that.

I have a different type of disability, it is actually a brain dysfunction it is neither mental or physical.

Default Re: Can a Representative Payee Commingle the Recipients Funds With Her Own

So you think it was an error to answer a question by a 21-year-old without adding, "assuming the law doesn't change and you're indigent, you may be able to qualify for SSI based upon a mild disability in forty-four years"? Come on.

What type of "brain dysfunction" is neither a physical nor a mental illness?

Default Re: what are we suppose to do if the payee dies or goes to a nursing home?

The only question you asked in your original thread was "Does mean she can commingle her SS funds, & my social security funds in a checking account and can I be on this account?"

If your "main question" was an irrelevant snipe about somebody else's thread, not even offered as a question, rather than the actual question you ask in your own thread, there's not much to be said..... If you cannot follow the forum instructions about titling your threads, you end up wasting the time of the moderators here when they have to clean up after you. You have no business whining about others having to clean up after you - follow the forum rules and it won't be an issue.

In terms of commingling, you've already read this; you can also read this and this.

If you need to replace your representative payee, go to the Social Security office then request and fill out a form requesting replacement. If possible have your proposed replacement representative payee go with you, and have them bring photo ID and their own Social Security card.

Default Re: what are we suppose to do if the payee dies or goes to a nursing home?

First, I deleted that post you are referring too. I ask the site administration to delete this thread because the subject matter is all messed up. On the payee part you misconstrued my points. Come to think of it, it is not a good idea to ask that question I want to ask here. I don't need to be bullied either-whether you are mod or administrator or regular poster.

If you would take time to read the social security website a beneficiary can complain if the payee is not given enough money to food, shelter or clothing. They also allow a entertainment budget as well. The payee agency is suppose to work with not against the beneficiary.

In my opinion, you don't change some one title to a thread. This is the only forum that does this. In other forums, you have to ask a mod to change it, if you messed up the title.

I gave you accurate responses to the question you asked, as well as to the question you didn't ask but later claimed to have wanted answered. I do not understand why you want to pretend that you're being bullied, and why you aren't saying "thank you" instead of grousing like a petulant child. The problem here isn't with us. Find a mirror, look in it, there's the problem.

If you are more comfortable in forums where you're not expected to be polite or follow the forum rules, don't let the door hit you in the posterior on your way out....

1. Sponsored Links